General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of power?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Talking Loss of power?????

-----------------------------ORIGINAL POST------------------------------

I got a 97 accord se, 122k, automatic. The car drives like new after warmed up. Still strong lots of power. The only problem is when its been sitting and its cold it bogs and shakes a lil bit like its going to die out sometimes. This only happens when its cold. It does this for about 1-2 mins. After this it drives like a dream. If i were to back out of my driveway and drive it without letting it warm up. As soon as i would try n accelerate it would bog and back fire. I would not even be able to go, I'd have to pull over and let it worm up. Ive had this done. Air filter, fuel filter, tried the techron fuel system cleaner. Just wanted to see if someone had an accord with this problem. Any input at all would help.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This problem went away after I changed the O2 sensor, Up-stream sensor (located before catalytic converter). I hope this helps.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

That's strange as the O2 sensor does not affect fuel mixture when engine is cold, rather fuel is metered based on other inputs in an open-loop control system. When engine warms (2-5 mins), the O2 sensor input causes fuel mixture to be optimized.

I was going to suggest perhaps your idle air control valve is sticking and idle is too low to allow cold engine to accelerate properly.

Is situation completely resolved?

good luck

Old 12-17-2010, 07:55 PM

yea i know it was a strange fix but the symptoms are gone. what i did first was disconnect it and right after i disconnected it the symptoms went away, i drove it like that for two days. then replace it and no more problems