General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Loss of Power and MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 08:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Loss of Power and MPG

I got a 2003 accord with 182k miles. I recently changed plugs, air filter, & pcv valve, i also replaced the air intake hose going from intake to airbox, along with the air flow chamber off the side of the hose. Almost immediately after changing the pcv valve and the vent hose going to the pcv, i have had a severe loss of power and gas mileage. I switched back the pcv, the symptoms went away for a day then came back. I still have no power on acceleration, and gas mileage is bad now. This is the 2.4 w/ 5 speed automatic. I checked transmission fluid it was low, i filled, but no change. It went from a rocketship to a turd in a week. Im banging my head against the wall, cause i cant figure it out. No check engine light either. Can anyone help?

Old 09-16-2013, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Check under the hood for the emission sticker, is your Accord a SULEV?

Old 09-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It is a NLEV emissions. My check engine light came on today while i was standing next to a mechanic, tomorrow i scan, and hopefully find the issue.
Any help or advice would be certainly welcome here though.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

The reason I was asking if it was a SULEV, was that the SULEV had a combined IAT/MAF sensor. A dirty MAF sensor or leak at the o-ring there can cause a power loss. You car doesn't have the MAF sensor.

Let us know what the trouble code is when you get it.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok Thank You Redbull. Do you happen to know where the Mass Air Flow sensor is located, if its equipped with one? I cant seem to find one, and the honda website says its on top of the airbox, but there is nothing there. I will update u tomorrow, when i find out the code or codes.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Nevermind, lol. that was a dumb question. Thats what a MAF is. I feel stupid, lol. I thought all vehicles had MAF sensors. Either way i will update tomorrow.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

... and I almost posted saying that redbull just told you your car doesn't have one.

Welcome to HAF anyway!

Old 09-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

My Neighbor forgot his scan tool on the charger at the garage, so i will have to wait till tomorrow. The check engine light went out, but issue remains. I didnt mention before that since the issue started, the transmission seems to shift sooner, not allowing it to get above 3500 RPM before shifting. It literally wont tach above 3500, unless in neutral or park, lol. From take off, 1st and 2nd gear have a little pep, but nowhere like before, the rest of the gears seem doggish, and the more i step on the peddle the more doggish it gets. I used to be able to pass someone and hit 90 without knowing it, now it wont go above 65 - 70. Its a gutless wonder at the moment, lol. I should find out the code or codes tomorrow.

Thank you for the welcome jim, and thank you for having me here.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well i scanned the car today, it came up with P0113 Air Intake Temp Sensor. I will be changing it tomorrow. Is this one of those sensors that have be positioned a certain way? Its easy to get to , and somewhat cheap.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

First check for poor connection or loose terminals at the IAT sensor. Try taking it out and reinstalling it to see if there is a difference. Other than the sensor being snugly installed and the clip attached, there is no other particular position.

Last edited by redbull-1; 10-14-2013 at 01:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Loss of Power and MPG