General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A lot of dirt in old fuel filter.. is that a bad sign?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 06:52 AM
Default A lot of dirt in old fuel filter.. is that a bad sign?

I changed it today and the old one had a LOT of dirt in it. I poured the fuel out into a bowl and there was maybe about a teaspoon of actual DIRT in there. I don't think it had been changed for a long time. It definitely accelerates better and is much more responsive, now.

I'm just worried that the fuel pump may have been overworked Is there anything I can do to extend the life of it? I try to never run down on E, especially on hot days..

Does the accord fuel pump bypass if the line is restricted? Like say the filter was partially blocked, and the pump couldn't send all of the fuel it was trying to, does it just overwork itself OR does it simply send the excess back to the tank?

Is all that dirt in the fuel filter pretty normal or some horrible sign????

Thanks

Old 07-24-2013, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

You're thread has been moved. Do not post help questions in the DIY section.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
You're thread has been moved. Do not post help questions in the DIY section.
Okay, sorry about that!

Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 93Accord2.2
I changed it today and the old one had a LOT of dirt in it. I poured the fuel out into a bowl and there was maybe about a teaspoon of actual DIRT in there. I don't think it had been changed for a long time. It definitely accelerates better and is much more responsive, now.

I'm just worried that the fuel pump may have been overworked Is there anything I can do to extend the life of it? I try to never run down on E, especially on hot days..

Does the accord fuel pump bypass if the line is restricted? Like say the filter was partially blocked, and the pump couldn't send all of the fuel it was trying to, does it just overwork itself OR does it simply send the excess back to the tank?

Is all that dirt in the fuel filter pretty normal or some horrible sign????

Thanks
Sounds pretty normal to me for a twenty year old car; nothing to worry about.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

the filter did it's job and kept dirt out of your injection system...the fuel pump is probably fine, unless the "dirt" was actual fuel pump debris from a failing pump...but don't worry either way, it will fail sooner or later.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:17 AM

Oh okay, good to know.... It didn't seem to have any rubber or metal in it, just what looked like plain ordinary dirt..

Old 07-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There should be an intake screen on the fuel pump pickup fitting in the fuel tank. If it's in place, hard to see anything from the tank getting to the under-hood filter.

Your finding might be some deterioated paper filter material or glue/sealant used in the filter.

Or maybe someone replaced the fuel pump and did not replace the intake screen because they had a fuel filter further downstream.

good luck

Old 07-24-2013, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
There should be an intake screen on the fuel pump pickup fitting in the fuel tank. If it's in place, hard to see anything from the tank getting to the under-hood filter.

Your finding might be some deterioated paper filter material or glue/sealant used in the filter.

Or maybe someone replaced the fuel pump and did not replace the intake screen because they had a fuel filter further downstream.

good luck
Well, it definitely looked to me like plain old dirt.. My eyes are pretty sharp ... But that could be bad news, eh? The ex got it from her parents who maintained everything to death and neither her nor them would imagine getting their hands dirty OR going to a shadetree or independent (because they are all extremely stupid and like to waste money)

OF COURSE- what would not surprise me, at all, would be for them to have paid some high dollar facility to do the work, and the work ended up not being done properly. That wouldn't surprise me. At all. I can imagine them paying for a fuel pump on a car that never had the tank dropped.

[/rant]

Anyway ---- I have a huge stack of records on this thing, I haven't seen a fuel pump on any of the invoices yet... but I suppose it'd be interesting to find out if and when it was done

Old 07-25-2013, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Well, you can imagine ways to get "plain old dirt" into the fuel filler pipe. All you need to do is fill the gas where there's gravel, dirt, & a windy day. Do that a bunch of times over the course of many years...

Old 07-25-2013, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Well, you can imagine ways to get "plain old dirt" into the fuel filler pipe. All you need to do is fill the gas where there's gravel, dirt, & a windy day. Do that a bunch of times over the course of many years...
I think the dirt came from my exes brain