General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud banging windshield wipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Default Loud banging windshield wipers

I recently inherited a 2004 Accord V6 EX-L and it has been great. But in just the last few weeks I've noticed that my windshield wipers are sometimes travelling too far and too fast. As a result, they slam into the window frame/A-pillar on the up-stroke and they slam against the bottom of the window frame on the down-stroke. But it's not all the time... sometimes they stop where they're supposed to and are nice and quiet, but most of the time (recently in particular) they are slamming hard and loud. I've also noticed that their timing seems to be off. Sometimes the pause is a steady and constant pause and then sometimes I'll get two or three swipes of the wipers where the pause is considerably shorter.

I've seen some other posts online in other forums talking about tightening the nut at the base of the wiper arm... that you can align the teeth of the gear so that it goesn't go so far up or so far down. But my wipers are travelling too far too fast in both directions.

I'm wondering if these symptoms sound more like a wiper motor issue... that maybe I broke it or over-stressed it trying to run the blades when they were frozen or weighted down with snow/frost. Thoughts?

Old 04-02-2014, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

More likely to be the linkage, if you're ruled out that hub/nut you mentioned.

Without turning them on, try to push them back & forth to feel the sloppy action. You'll have to figure out whether that extra looseness is in the shaft or in the linkage.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:21 PM

Hi im having the same issue.

2005 Honda Accord EX

A couple months ago my windshield wiper motor died (during winter of course and 2 hours from home) so I had to get a replacement.

I had it replaced and now my wipers go up, go a little too far and then when they come back down to the bottom there’s an audible bang. My wiper speeds work just fine but the banging drives me crazy. I can hear it over my radio. Are my wipers just off track? Is this something I can fix quickly myself or do I need to have it taken in and taken apart again?

Thanks!

Old 12-01-2018, 11:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The wipers were not put on right. They just need to be adjusted. There are many YouTube videos how to adjust the wipers

Old 12-01-2018, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
The wipers were not put on right. They just need to be adjusted. There are many YouTube videos how to adjust the wipers
Awesome! Thanks for the reply!!

Old 12-02-2018, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
More likely to be the linkage, if you're ruled out that hub/nut you mentioned.

Without turning them on, try to push them back & forth to feel the sloppy action. You'll have to figure out whether that extra looseness is in the shaft or in the linkage.
My 99 Accord had that problem. It was 2 bad bushings that were allowing extra play. I replaced the transmission and it's been good to go since. I got the trans thru Rock Auto.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:48 PM

Probably the little plastic bushings on linkage rod A and or rod B. You have to take the wiper arms and cowl off to get to them on the wiper linkage/transmission. I would just buy the rods with the bushings already installed.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by EXV6NIGHTHAWK
Probably the little plastic bushings on linkage rod A and or rod B. You have to take the wiper arms and cowl off to get to them on the wiper linkage/transmission. I would just buy the rods with the bushings already installed.
That's what I was going to do, but found I could buy the entire transmission assembly for the same price with a 1 year warranty, and all I had to do was remove 3 screws and a nut to swap the assembly out. Once the cowl cover is off, it's easily accessible (at least mine was).

Old 12-03-2018, 07:57 PM

But then you have to switch the motor over, right? The rods are easy to replace. You could buy just the bushings, if you really want to save money. I found the rods/with bushings on Amazon pretty cheap. Items 10 & 11 in illustration.
https://www.collegehillshondaparts.c...ndshield-wiper

Last edited by EXV6NIGHTHAWK; 12-03-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by EXV6NIGHTHAWK
But then you have to switch the motor over, right? The rods are easy to replace. You could buy just the bushings, if you really want to save money. I found the rods/with bushings on Amazon pretty cheap. Items 10 & 11 in illustration.
https://www.collegehillshondaparts.c...ndshield-wiper
The nut was on the wiper motor to main drive link, and the 3 screws held the main trans support bracket to the motor. There was a guide pin at the center of the car/far right bearing support. It took longer to get the wiper arms and cowl cover off than it did to change the transmission. :O