General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Loud clank left rear (edit: it's the front)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 11:06 PM
Default Loud clank left rear (edit: it's the front)

Our new 2006 Honda Accord has a loud clank from the left rear wheel area. It happens when I back down our driveway, back up the street, start to roll down a few feet, and then put it in drive (automatic). It doesn't happen when I back out from a level parking spot. I checked under the car on both sides and I could not find anything loose or a brake pad missing. I talked to the dealer sevice manage and he thinks it is a normal sound, but not to me as it is just too loud!!!!

Edit:I had my wife drive the car out this morning and the metallic clank is coming from the front, not the rear. The noise was telescoping to the rear when I was in the driver's seat.

Old 06-02-2006, 03:02 AM
Default RE: Loud clank from left rear

what's the grade on your driveway? I've backed my 96 onto my toolbox, and just the bumper hitting it can make a pretty good amount of noise

Old 06-03-2006, 11:11 PM

The vehicle is not touching the pavement. All four wheels are on the road. The clank doesn't happen if I put it in drive before I take the brake off. I put the vehicle in neutral, take the brake off, roll a few feet, and when I put put the AT in drive then the loud CLANK. It is in the rear wheel assembly, not the AT or the front drive line.

Old 06-04-2006, 05:13 AM

that is confusing, either the guy from honda is right, or u got something loose back there

Old 06-04-2006, 05:13 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: longhornjohn

I talked to the dealer sevice manage and he thinks it is a normal sound, but not to me as it is just too loud!!!!

if dealer thinks that it is a normal sound ,, have them let you test drive another car similar year and model,, go with the service manager ...if same noise is there,than it might be normal , but if no noise,, DEMAND that they fix the problem..

Old 06-04-2006, 01:07 PM

Wow, wassup with all these cheap *** dealers not wanting to fix new cars?

Old 06-05-2006, 01:15 AM

Is it possibly the brake sticking to the wheel, like after you have washed the car sometimes the wheels creak when you first start to roll?

Old 06-05-2006, 02:15 AM
Administrator

Was-up with these dealers anymore is that they are too darn busy spending their $65,000 per week budget (like around my are) instead of trying to get some of there Techs knowlegable enoughf to figure out what the [sm=badbadbad.gif] is wrong with these cars.

All they seem to do anymore is to give out pleanty of [sm=bs.gif] to the People who are provideing them with a living..
[sm=rant.gif] WheelBrokerAng

Old 06-05-2006, 09:53 AM

that's usually a slight popping noise not a loud clank.

My guess would be something is not right with the multilink rear suspension on that side of the car. Take it to another dealer. Tell the new dealer that the old dealer refuses to look at it. IF they fix it, take your other business to them and forget about that other dealaer.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Default RE: Loud clank left rear(edit: coming from front

I had my wife drive the car out this morning. The metallic clank is coming from the front, not the rear. The noise was telescoping to the rear when I was in the driver's seat. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow. If they say it is normal then I will ask to test drive a new vehicle to see if the clank is there!!!! Our Chevy sure doesn't make the noise.

Quick Reply: Loud clank left rear (edit: it's the front)