General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Loud Hum in Power Steering Pump When Cold (04 Accord)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Default Fixed! - Loud Hum in Power Steering Pump When Cold (04 Accord)

Hi all and Happy Holidays!!

The PS pump on my 04 Accord (105K miles) makes a loud hum when I start it up in cold weather. It does not leak and the noise will eventually go away when the car gets toasty warm after 5 min. But it is loud and getting louder by the week! My Helm manual says this is normal but I think its a pump bearing.

Is my diagnosis correct? I did a search and saw that someone replaced the fluid and corrected the problem. Is this coincidence and are my only real options replacing the pump or rebuilding??

Thanks!!

--Jeff

Last edited by JeffB; 01-05-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Try a scrap piece of garden hose as a poor-man's stethoscope. If you can pinpoint the sound to the PS pump, then I guess I'd try a fluid change first.

Use Honda fluid. Any chance there's off-brand fluid in there now?

Old 12-22-2009, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I've already pinpointed it to the PS pump with a steth. And its now so loud, you don't even need it!!! Its pretty clear its coming from the pump.

Its got the original fluid in it. I don't remember a maintenance item to replace the fluid....there isn't one, is there? And if the main shaft bearing is sealed, would the fluid matter? Are there other internal components that would hum like that?

--Jeff

Old 12-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

There is no schedule for replacing the fluid, but I refuse to believe that any fluid can last FOREVER. 100k sounds like a good lifespan, or even shorter. But if the pump is that loud, then I'll guess that fresh fluid won't fix it.

Never had to rebuild a pump, so I won't be too much help there.

You could check the reservoir. There's a fine mesh screen down low, submerged in the fluid. If that's plugged with crud, it might cause too much suction at that side of the pump. But I think that's a long shot.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

It could be the PS belt that needs to be replaced or is loose. Try spraying belt dressing on the side of the belt that contacts the pulley in a spot away from the pump. You don't want to spray the dressing on the bearing.

If the sound goes away, maybe the belt needs its tension adjusted if there is no auto-tension or a simple belt replacement.

Do you see any air bubble like a froth in the pump fluid reservoir?

Old 01-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Default Update -- PS Pump Noise

Update and another question on my PS noise. After reading PAHonda's note above, I double-checked and yes...it was foamy in the reservoir...and dark! So I purged the entire system and refilled with fresh Honda PS fluid.

THe loud noise inside the PS pump is still there (but not at the steering wheel ends!) and the fluid is still foaming. The Helm manual said to turn the wheel in both directions to purge the air...which I did several times. I also double and triple checked, and EVERYTHING is dry...no leaks anywhere. All of the hoses, lines, and fittings are bone dry. If air is getting in, I have no idea where since nothing is wet.

Is air in the system causing the pump noise and how the heck to I find a leak when nothing is wet? This is a real head-scratcher for me!

Advice welcomed! THanks!!

--Jeff

Old 01-03-2010, 08:50 AM

Old 01-03-2010, 09:10 AM

Wow...thanks!!!

--Jeff

Old 01-03-2010, 07:28 PM

i used the above service bulletin for my 04 honda accord and the moaning still continues along with my powersteering fluid foaming. Is foam normal? what else should i try?

Old 01-03-2010, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by accordmandy
i used the above service bulletin for my 04 honda accord and the moaning still continues along with my power-steering fluid foaming. Is foam normal? what else should i try?
Apparently, it doesn't work for everyone. The O-ring is a common problem though, for the 7th gen V6.

Quick Reply: Loud Hum in Power Steering Pump When Cold (04 Accord)