General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Rattle On Cold Start Up & While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Default Loud Rattle On Cold Start Up & While Driving

My 2009 Accord with 2.4 engine has the loud rattle on cold start up. (I found the info. for TSB 09-010 on this forum.) This has been going on for over a year, and I was waiting for the problem to get worse so that it could be easily diagnosed by my Honda dealer. Within the past couple of weeks, I have been getting this loud metal rattle sound while driving also. When I start driving the sound is there, until it shifts into 2nd gear. On the highway the sound isn't there. It seems to only be there at low speeds.
I made an appointment, for today, at the Honda dealer for this, and also to get the oil changed. They called me at about noon and said that they didn't hear the noise on start up. They also said that when they went to do the oil change, they saw that it was about a quart low. I had it changed back in January this year, when it hit the 15% point. (It was at 20% last night when I dropped it off.) He said that he would try it again in a few hours. He called me back a few hours later and said that he didn't hear the noise on start up and while driving it. So I went and picked it up, expecting the noise to be there and it was not there. Drove the car all last week and the noise was there, and got louder by the end of the week.
I am wondering if being one quart low could have caused this and wondering if there is possibly a problem with the valves?
Any help you guys can give me is greatly appreciated.
(I called up the service advisor, and left him a message, and told him about TSB 09-010.)
Sorry about the long-winded post.
Thanks, Tim.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

If the oil was low then yes that "could" be the cause of the noise.

Let the car sit overnight. Start it up in the morning and see if the noise happens. If it does, check the oil level just for good measure - yes I know they just changed it. Then let is sit overnight - 8 hours ?? Before starting the car - get your phone or some other recording means and record the noise and take it back to the dealer and let them hear it.

You could also post the video here and let us try to hear it as well.

Last, don't take this the wrong way, I would suggest that you check the oil level at least once a month.

Last edited by poorman212; 11-18-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:41 AM

Ok. Thanks for the info. poorman. I will definitely check the oil more often. Also, I will not rely on the readout of the oil percentage any more, and I will get the oil changed at closer to 5000 miles as was suggested on another post on this forum. I'm very lazy as far as keeping up on this, but learned my lesson yesterday when I was told I was a quart low-not good. I am also going to push my Honda dealer, who I have bought 3 cars from so far, to replace my VTC actuator (TSB 09-010). I just can't believe that they didn't suggest this since the problem I am having is exactly what TSB 09-010 is supposed to take care of.
Thanks.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

The "oil life" system only calc's the life of the oil, not the "level" of oil.

Is the noise still there on "cold start up"?

Old 11-17-2013, 06:54 PM

Yes poorman the noise is still there on cold start up. I had my wife video tape the car while I started it this morning, so that I could show the service advisor at the Honda dealership. It was SUPER LOUD this morning when I started it up. It was the loudest it ever was on cold start up, which leads me to believe that it is getting worse. I have to get this problem taken care of.
Thanks.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

How about oil level?

The oil-life monitor has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the amount of oil inventory. It has no way of knowing whether the oil has leaked out, etc. That's why you still have to check the dipstick.

The oil-life monitor simply records everything you do (cold-starts, hard acceleration, highway cruising, etc) and adds it all up to calculate how long your oil should be good. It does a good job, so you don't have to keep a detailed diary & then guess whether you should be on the "normal" or "severe" oilchange schedule. But it has no way of knowing if the proper AMOUNT of oil is still in there.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If this noise has been happening for some time, it may be a loose timing chain. This problem can happen when oil level is allowed to get too low frequently.

It requires a complex diagnostic (Cam Chain Inspection) to confirm loose chain. If chain is loose, it must be replaced.

good luck

Old 11-18-2013, 08:21 PM

Jim, I just had the oil changed on Saturday, and I learned a valuable lesson. I will definitely check the oil level more often, and get it changed sooner than 15%. TexasHonda, the noise has been happening for more than a year. It is exactly as described in TSB 09-010, Loud Rattle On Cold Start Up. I talked to the service advisor at the Honda dealer and told him about TSB 09-010, and he said that if they hear the noise, that they will definitely replace the VTC Actuator. He said that they didn't hear the noise Saturday when I had it there. I told him that when I started it Sunday morning my wife was recording it and that it was super loud. I am dropping it off tomorrow night so that they can work on it Wednesday. He wants me to show the recording to the service advisor when I come in.
Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited by Goldwinger; 11-18-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Default Time to call Regional Service Manager?

It sounds as if your Honda Dealer does not want to spend the time to properly fix your Honda per the service bulletin. The fact you have noted the loud noise on multiple occasions should be enough to have it fixed. Honda Dealers are paid book time by American Honda for service bulletins. They make much more money off the consumer from scheduled maintenance. How many miles had you driven between oil changes? Have you noticed any oil puddles in your driveway or on your garage floor? It is possible you have an un-diagnosed engine oil leak?

Play your Wife's video and politely ask them to preform the Service Bulletin. See what they have to say. Ask to speak with the owner of the dealership if the Service Manage will not agree to repair your Accord. Do not accept another delay. They may ask you to bring the car back at a better time. Tell them: no way, you had an opportunity to fix it it when it was in Saturday for the oil change.

If this does not work you have several options, four come to mind: 1) Demand an appointment with the Regional Service Manager. 2) Call Honda of America if you do not get satisfaction from the Regional Service Manager. 3) Stand near the door where the new cars are displayed. Wait for customers to come in and tell them your sad story that the dealer will not perform repairs for an active service bulletin. Explain you have purchased three Honda autos form this Dealership and you would not buy a wheelbarrow based on their current level of customer care. 4) File a complaint with the BBB in your area.

I wish you the best of luck and a speedy completion of the service bulletin.

Last edited by bsdubois; 11-18-2013 at 09:42 PM. Reason: omission of questions in first paragraph
Old 11-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Goldwinger
My 2009 Accord with 2.4 engine has the loud rattle on cold start up. ...
I made an appointment, for today, at the Honda dealer for this, and also to get the oil changed. They called me at about noon and said ...
You'll need to leave the car overnight at the dealer so they can experience a cold start-up.
Don't beat them up until you've given dealer the chance to duplicate the situation... $.02

Quick Reply: Loud Rattle On Cold Start Up & While Driving