General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:49 PM
jaystew
Unregistered
Default Low Idle

Car idle's at maybe 500 and dies, when I am driving it is perfectly fine, it only does this when I am at a dead stop. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 03-11-2009, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome new member! What car are we talking about? 72 Pinto? Honda's been making Accords since about 1977 & (surprise) they're not all the same.

Try cleaning the throttle body & IAC valve. Depending on year & engine, you may also have a FIT valve or other stuff. Then look for the procedure for setting your BASE idle.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:09 AM
jaystew
Unregistered

It is a 1988 Accord LX, we are also thinking that it may be the fuel and fuel filter as well, but I will give that a try.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:41 AM
jaystew
Unregistered

Also, could it possible be the rear engine mount as well? It doesn't shake when driving but it just idles low, I have read that some people were having this problem and said it was the rear engine mount.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

1988 LX is carburated, right?

How long ago have you cleaned all the jets & done a proper tune-up?
Float level adjusted properly?

I never had an '88, but I imagine it has some kind of active bypass control for A/F mixture control? It that stuff all cleaned & adjusted?

Old 03-11-2009, 10:54 AM
jaystew
Unregistered

I just got the car a few days ago and I am still working on getting everything up and running on it, but I am going to clean the throttle body and change out the primary fuel filter as well.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Throttle body?
Are we talking about a carburated 1988?

Old 03-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Anyway, that rear engine mount is different. Beginning somewhere in early '90s the rear mount is vacuum operated on auto-tranny Accords only. It gets soft when idling in gear.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:32 PM
jaystew
Unregistered

Yes it is carburated, but it will only die wen i ham sitting at a stop, when i am driving it is just fine.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:22 AM

I own an 87 Accord with a carb I feel your pain bout the idle prob. here are a few things you need to check to start with ....check to make sure your choke is operating properly should be closed when engine is cold and open when at normal operating temp . get some carb and choke cleaner and with engine running clean the carb to try and get all the build up and gunk off the carb and all linkages then spray directly into carb thoat to clean it as well..be ready on throttle to rev engine while you do this. your idle setting should be located on the underside of hood on the drivers side. Make sure you don't have any vacuume leaks (spaggetti don't have nothin on the Carberated Accord when it comes to the Vaccum lines LOL),on the Back side of the Throttle linkage there is a large black thumb screw to adjust the throttle if necessesary also make shure you have a clean free flowing Exhaust. once you get everything dialed in you'll have A car that'll last you a long time with great gas milage ...Mine has over 165,000 and runs great (few minor flaws) and still averages 30+ MPG on the highway.
The rear engine mount on that car is a solid rubber type and has nothin to do with the way the engine Idles

Quick Reply: Low Idle