General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Lower ball joint

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Default Lower ball joint

Is it possible, using home tools, to replace the lower ball joints on a Honda Accord? In particular, a 1996. If so, how??
Thanks

Old 10-30-2006, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Lower ball joint

I'm not sure I'd try this job with hand tools only. You'll need to get the ball joint stud out of the lower control arm then get the axle joint out of the hub and swing the unit to the side, next you'll have to drive the old ball joint up and out; and finally you'll need a ball joint press tool to reinstall the new ball joint.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:01 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You will need a "fork" to separate the ball joint from the suspension. at a min you are going to need a fork, mallot, jackstands and a hydraulic jack to support the knuckle while you remove the joint....

you jack up the car and support it with a jack stand
remove front wheel
using hydraulic jack support suspension by placing jack under knuckle and raising it up a little.
remove nut and cotter pin from ball joint
using above fork wedge it between ball joint and knucke and hit it with the hard mallot until the ball joint pops out of the steering knuckle
clean the knucle and grease it
install new ball joint and make SURE that it is fully seated
resintall nut and cotter pin provided with new ball joint
once you are sure everything is installed properly slowly release hydraulic jack
reinstall wheel and lugs (only hand light)
make sure wheel does not wiggle
lower car
tighten to specs

recheck lugs in a few days

Old 11-03-2006, 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: hondadude

I'm not sure I'd try this job with hand tools only. You'll need to get the ball joint stud out of the lower control arm then get the axle joint out of the hub and swing the unit to the side, next you'll have to drive the old ball joint up and out; and finally you'll need a ball joint press tool to reinstall the new ball joint.

I guess that I should have been a bit more specific in my question. I am fully aware of how to get the joint stud out of the lower arm. It is the part about getting the ball joint out of and the new one back into the knuckle. I was wondering if a press would be required, and I guess you answered that. So--take it off and take it in- Right??

Old 11-03-2006, 02:31 PM

You've got to buy a new ball joint from someone, right? Some aftermarket parts places will loan you a tool that will press the ball joint into the knuckle.

The place the I bought parts from would "sell" you the removal/installation tools and then, when you've finished with them, you bring them back for a "refund". I ended up paying nothing - not even a rental fee - for the use of the tools.

Something to consider, anyway.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:57 AM

Good suggestion Tony. I will look into that for sure. Thanks

Ken

Old 11-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: Hondaccord

It is the part about getting the ball joint out of and the new one back into the knuckle.
A BFH will work fine going in and out. Dont forget to remove the snap ring if it has one.