General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lower sway bar bushings

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:30 AM
Default lower sway bar bushings

hello all,

as the title says i need some info about the lower sway bar bushings. is this something that I can do at home or is it best to have a shop do it? also if i can do it at home know of any good web sites to buy the parts from? (i keep parts train on my bookmark list lol). any pictures or diagrams wold help and also info on if i need special tools. thank you all ahead of time.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:20 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: lower sway bar bushings

www.tasauto.com

depending how old your car is and how rusted they are you may end up having to cut or torch them off.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: luvmyhonda

hello all,

... any pictures or diagrams wold help and also info on if i need special tools. thank you all ahead of time.
... pictures or diagrams of what? Front or rear? '72 Pinto or '81 Accord? Honda's been making Accords for 30 years & they're not all the same.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Please post the year/model of your accord. That way we can tell you exactly what to expect.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:42 PM

I had to replace them a few months ago. Its pretty easy, the hardest part it putting the new bushings on, because when the car is in the air and one bushing is not attached they dont line up perfectly. What I did was put a few 2x4's under the tire on the opposite side of the bushing I was replacing and it would raise the sway bar up enough for me to get the new linkage on correctly.

and i broke my front tooth right in the middle while doing that too... rachet slipped off a nut and hit me in the face... Have to get a crown but right now its just filled in.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:36 PM

you know what, my bad. I guess model and year would help.

2000 LX-V6 sedan
the passenger side lower control arm. i do know the whole arm has to come off because the bushing is pressed in. so again is this something i should attempt at home or let a shop do? oh and no rust (yay!)

for anybody else just a lil extra info. when the bushing went bad the steering went loose, it pulled to the bad side, it wont take an alignment, it wears out the brake on that side VERY fast, hit a bump and the car will pull harder to that side, and the car (when braking) will dive heavily towards whatever side is bad.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:38 PM

their pressed in?
i would let a shop do it.
they wernt on my 96.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:42 PM

well i meant can i take the whole bar off, im definatly not fooling with any pressed in or on parts lol.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Are you replacing the bushings or endlinks? The endlinks connect the swaybar to the knuckle. The bushings are around the swaybar towards the center of the car.

It looks like the endlinks for you accor are more like two ball joints with a bar connecting them together. You might want to rent a pitman puller from autozone to seperate it from the knuckle. Installation should just include tightening the new endlinks down. I don't think that you need to press them in, but I might be wrong.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:28 PM

i'm confused. sway bar links on your car are just that. they unbolt and bolt right back on. nothing is pressed anywhere for the sway bar on your car.

Quick Reply: lower sway bar bushings