General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Main Relay or Distributor

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 07:55 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation Main Relay or Distributor

Year and trim accord :2000 Accord Coupe Lx 4cyl 2.3L

Your request for a DIY write up :Main Relay or Distributor

Any additional notes that need to be added :Car is shutting off when it gets to running temp. When it cools down it runs again till running temp. I believe that its one of the two.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

If it happens all the time, put a timing light on a spark plug wire & run it until it warms up & quits. Watch whether the timing light still flashes when it WON'T run.

Main relay switches fuel, it's not in the ignition/spark circuit at all.

I'm moving this to Gen.Tech since it's not a long "procedure" write-up.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Supper Moderator

Also by Jim moving this you will get better answers.
Just b/c you filled out a request forum doesn’t mean it has to stay in the D.I.Y area of the forum...thought I just throw that out there.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Mr.Project8

I recently had a trouble shooting nightmare on a 1999 Accord and used the link inserted below to aid in my efforts. Deserthonda suggested the same web site and I think you will find it usefull in your efforts.

http://www.techautorepairs.com/

Old 08-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
If it happens all the time, put a timing light on a spark plug wire & run it until it warms up & quits. Watch whether the timing light still flashes when it WON'T run.

Main relay switches fuel, it's not in the ignition/spark circuit at all.

I'm moving this to Gen.Tech since it's not a long "procedure" write-up.
Ok...Well the reason why i thought it was the main relay was because sometimes when im trying to crank it up it seems like its not getting any gass then i have to wait a couple hours and try again. Now once i get it to start thats when i have the problem of it shutting off. But i only had it not start on me twice in the past month. But the car turning off has been happening for about 2 months. At first i thought it was the Alternator but the works fine. Had it tested and the battery was bad but i havent had the altinator fixed but ive never had an alternator go in and out on me or work after the car cools down. So thats why i came to the forum cause i didnt know exactly what to do. The dealer suggested the Main Relay. Another Mechanic suggested the Distributor. Both mechanics mentioned the same symtoms.:c onfused:

Old 08-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by g22cd5
Also by Jim moving this you will get better answers.
Just b/c you filled out a request forum doesn’t mean it has to stay in the D.I.Y area of the forum...thought I just throw that out there.

HAHAHAHA Its cool its you guys turf. Im just happy i can get help form ppl with the same cars and awsome knowledge....

Old 08-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by Mr.Project8
HAHAHAHA Its cool its you guys turf. Im just happy i can get help form ppl with the same cars and awsome knowledge....
Wish every HAF member would think like you

Old 08-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Okieaccord
Mr.Project8

I recently had a trouble shooting nightmare on a 1999 Accord and used the link inserted below to aid in my efforts. Deserthonda suggested the same web site and I think you will find it usefull in your efforts.

http://www.techautorepairs.com/

Preciate the info man this site is awesome......still wanna see if someone on here can answer

Old 08-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Does the check engine light turn on when you car stalls? Does your car stall every time it gets to operating temperature?

I would stop by a parts store and have them scan for code(s). Post the code on here. It will start with the letter P and have 4 numbers, like P1234. Most parts stores do this service free of charge.

Also have the battery/alternator/starter tested again. You explanation above is vague about the alternator. Did the alternator test bad/good? If the battery tested bad, then you should replace it. If the battery wasn't charged enough due to a bad alternator, then they can't tell you about the condition of the battery.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Bad main relay, or bad alternator can have very similar symptoms. That's why you should test for spark (timing light).

I've seen SOME places that have equipment to test a battery even if it's not charged. Basically, it charges it & then tests it.

It's a bit unusual, but alternators can be flaky, failing & then coming back to life. Maybe keep doing that for months before giving up & NOT coming back to life.

Quick Reply: Main Relay or Distributor