General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance Light On?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Default Maintenance Light On?

Hey guys, when I start the engine and all the system check lights activate my maintenance light blinks longer then... wellI suppose it should. Now obviously something would be wrong if the light was on, but it simply blinks for a while before turning off, so my question is; Is there something wrong or is the system trying to tell me something is 'about to go wrong'?

Old 10-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Default RE: Maintenance Light On?

First we need to know what kind of car you have.
Please add a signature like mine below including year, model, trim, engine (4cyl or V6), and transmission

If you have a 1998-2002 Accord, it sounds like you are referring to the "Maintenance Required" light.
That light is set to go off after you car has travelled a certain number of miles (I believe it is around every 7,500 miles).
There is nothing wrong with your car when this light comes on. It is simply a reminder that you should service the car at least every 7,500 miles which is what the Owner's Manual recommends.
Before you can reset it, you need to wait until the light comes on and stays on (i.e. not flashing, but constantly illuminated)
To reset the light, you hold down the "trip reset" button on the odometer before you crank the car. Hold the button down, then turn the key to the II position, but do not crank. Keep holding the button until the light goes off, then you can crank the car.
The light will stay off for another 7,500 miles or so, then the light will come on again and you will have to reset it again.

I am not sure if the procedure is the same for the newer Accords (I think it is though), but the procedure to reset the light is in the Owner's Manual (if you have it)

Old 10-07-2008, 08:06 PM

Hey thanks alot, I think that may be the problem... and I posted my specs below as you suggested.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The light that is yellow/orange with the outline of the engine and the word "CHECK" inside of it is the Check Engine Light (CEL) and also referred to as the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) on newer models. The other light that says "MAINTENANCE REQUIRED" is just a reminder light to change your oil triggered by the mileage since it was last reset.

To reset it:

1. Stick your key in the ignition, don't turn on.
2. Hold the reset button on the gauge cluster (the one you use to reset the trip meter)
3. While holding reset, turn the ignition on to II, don't start the car.
4. Keep holding the reset button for approx. 10 seconds and the light will go out.