General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual trans swap from a 96

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 06:26 PM
Default manual trans swap from a 96

I am looking to do a manual trans swap from a 96 lx to my 94 lx. I know there is a few differences. first being the 96 is obd2. I also know that the 96 has the crank sensor on the block instead of in the dis. wanting to know if any one has tried this before. was planning on taking the engine and dash harness from the 96 to make it work. unsure if i need to just take the whole car harness to make it work? any advice would be great

Old 01-06-2018, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Is your 1994 LX an automatic or manual?

Old 01-06-2018, 08:10 PM

it is an auto

Old 01-06-2018, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jglave
it is an auto
Makes a successful outcome to this job all that more challenging. I'm thinking you'd be better off selling your car and investing the proceeds in one with a manual transmission; odds are this will be cheaper in the long run.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:34 PM

ok I alraedy picked up the 96 with the 5 speed which runs and drives for $50. the truck area is smashed in so i do have the whole donor car already. and i have the skills to pull it off. was just looking for some info on changing the car over to obd2

Old 01-07-2018, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

Let me get this straight. You want to convert a 94 auto to manual?

If so, you are pretty much there using "stuff" from the 96 - trans, cables, pedals, mounts, clutch master/slave, ect......

What you need to find is a ECU for a 94-95 manual non-vtec.

I think you would be better off keeping the car/engine OBD-I.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:05 AM

yes poorman212 that is what it am wanting to do is use the stuff from the 96 to do it. I do know that the speed sensor (vvs) on the auto has 2 pins on it, as the one from the manual has 3 pins on it. so does anyone know where i could find a wire diagram at so i can figure out the pin out for the computer to ad the signal wire in for the vss as well as the clutch cancle switch in. (not sure if the auto harness has a place to plug in the c.c.s into

Old 01-07-2018, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

There are plenty of "write ups" on swapping a manual into an auto. Start with reading through those as they will help with what I will call the "hard parts" - meaning the "metal" = brackets, which cv shaft to change, where to drill holes, ect. This will be the stuff you are harvesting from the donor car and installing into your 94.

The VSS is the same for the auto or manual between the two so I'm not sure where or what you are getting that from?

The wiring will be a bit of fun . Nothing hard, just a bit of time to splice in wires.

For example, don't quote me on all of this as I'm going from memory.....for the cruise, control, there is a pink wire to the cruise control unit that is "grounded" when the auto trans is in D, D3, D2 via the "selector switch" in the console. What you will have to do is wire the CC switch on the pedal assy on the manual (there are two, one for the CC and one for the starter circuit - more wiring for the starter) so that one wire is to ground and then wire the "pink" to the cruise control unit.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:51 PM

thanks poorman212 for the info and you are right about the vss. it is the same one i look at it a few minutes ago. the pink wire is the correct one as well i found it in the book. thanks for the help

Old 01-08-2018, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

As you go along and have questions about this or that, we are here to help so just let us know what questions you have.

Again, it is just me but to keep things as simple as possible. Keep the car ODB-I, in doing so you will only need to source an ECU from a 94-95 manual (same trim) and some wire and wire connectors....most everything else can be sourced from the donor.

Now I will add, you are going to be "looking" some parts right in the face that you might want to think about replacing - clutch set up, new/resurface flywheel, rear main, ect. Then as things come apart you want to check those for wear and decide it they should be replaced (ball joints, tie rods, ect).

Good luck and let us know if you have questions on things along the way.

Quick Reply: manual trans swap from a 96