General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Manual Transmission first gear problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Default Manual Transmission first gear problem

Hi,

I have a 92 Accord that may have an issue with the manual transmission but i'm unsure (not having ever driven any other standards before). Everything seems fine - a little slow at takeoff, but when I am stopping, sometimes, with the clutch in, the car will not shift into first, or if it does I have to work it in, or shift to second, then first.

Today, being cold out, it did not like to go into first. It sort of clunks into first and sometimes fights to go in.

Any idea what may be wrong, if anything? Should it be smooth going into first?

Thanks!

Old 01-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Default RE: Manual Transmission first gear problem

it should be smooth going into first when you are at a dead stop. if it's not it can be either a worn clutch or worn 1st gear syncro(requires tranny tear down)

Old 01-14-2008, 08:32 PM

Thanks... that sucks

Old 01-14-2008, 08:42 PM

however, i'd highly recommend a tranny fluid change. honda has some amazing manual transmission fluid that works miracles!drain and refill the tranny and see how it goes!

Old 01-14-2008, 08:57 PM

That is one thing I have not yet done, and will, Thanks!

Old 01-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Hard shifting can also be caused by clutch failing to completely disengage. Make sure you are getting full clutch throw and no slave or master cylinder leaks.

good luck

Old 01-15-2008, 05:25 PM

Assuming the clutch is fully disengaging, unless the problem is really bad, I'd just get used to either selcting second before selecting first, or letting clutch pedal out when in neutral just before pushing it in again and selecting first.

This used to be a common characteristic in the days when synchromesh wasn't as good as it is now, or gearboxes often just didn't have synchromesh on first gear. Changing the oil might help, but may not. Pulling the gearbox out to replace the synchro or fitting a new box is a lot of work for something that really is only a slight inconvenience that you can work around easily once you get used to doing it.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:52 PM

Tonight it got even worse coming home. I could not force it into first with the clutch depressed... and second was a real bugger too. Third was better. I could manage to get it into second after some play. I struggled for a while like this, trying to get it into second to accelerate.

Then, the problem went away and i was fine after some hearty cursing at the vehicle. I did book an appt to have Honda change my fluid (I'm such a dope with cars I would truly wreck it if I touch it more). I am going to see if I can push it up to have them try to diagnose my issue. It has suddenly become a big issue. I did notice when I did get it into first it sort of bobbed and you could clearly hear it smack the gears somewhat. Maybe my clutch is fubar. I don't know. Just seems odd it would suddenly come on, then be fine a short while after. I would say it was the cold weather, but the car was parked in a heated garage all day.... was fine when first going and about 20 minutes into the commute acted up for about 10 minutes.... crazy.

I do not want to spend big $$$ on a rebuild or anything. My Honda dealership has been good to me and has resolved issues with my car before at a reasonable price.

Thanks!!!

Old 01-15-2008, 07:59 PM

sounds like bad news though. everyone listed likely problems(leaking clutch master or slave cylinders, dying clutch). make sure you mention what's going on with the car and ask for an estimate to repair it.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:56 AM

Apart fom the magical cure, it sounds like the hydraulics have air in the system and the clutch isn't fully disengaging.

I have a theory, if the seal in either the master cylinder or slave cylinder is leaking, it could concievably at some point suck in some air past the seal into the cylinder, this then causing the clutch to not fully disengage.It might then at some other point pump that air back out, or it could 'self bleed' into the reseviour, allowing normal transmission to be resumed???

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission first gear problem