General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

measuring trans. level properly

Old 12-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Default measuring trans. level properly

2007 accord,V6,auto Is there any reason why i can't check the trans.fluid level cold?

Old 12-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Default RE: measuring trans. level properly

SOME dipsticks have a cold and hot level mark but due to the variance in expansion and various cavities that need to be filled it's generally not a good idea to check it before it's warm.

So, you can check it on some vehicles but it's still better to check it when it's warm.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:57 AM

Thanks for your reply.

A reason for asking is that the level on the D.S. varies from one warm check reading to another. As a example, one time it will read to the "add" mark,the next time it will read "full".

Just concerns me that the readings are never consistent like engine oil.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:46 AM

make sure the car is level and at full operating temerature, then shift through the gears, stopping at each gear for a second with your foot on the brake, throw it into park and do your normal check. if you follow that procedure and the car is lvl it should always read the same. Or at least close to the same. Also, be sure you're pushing the dipstick all the way in.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:08 PM

Thanks again. I'll follow that procedure

Old 12-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty
Also, be sure you're pushing the dipstick all the way in.
Correct! The dipstick must be screwed all the way in to get the correct reading.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:11 PM

I'll have to look at the D.P. closely,and check my technique.
You wouldn't think a grown man would have have so much trouble checking the oil.

Thanks for your inputs

Old 12-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: daswede

You wouldn't think a grown man would have have so much trouble checking the oil.
A grown man having trouble checking his oil always beats the grown man who can't check oil. Hard to believe there are plenty of men on this planet that can only fill the gas and washer fluid tanks. haha

GL!

Old 12-24-2008, 02:30 PM

I usually check the trans. "Cold" for no special reason. In doing so,i find the level varies from below the "add" mark to almost the "full" mark.

All conditions being the same in checking this way,i have to ask why the level changes from day to day under the same checking procedures?

I don't see any evidence of a leak. The fluid is nice and pink which i would it to be after only 10 k on the odo.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

make sure the car is level and at full operating temerature, then shift through the gears, stopping at each gear for a second with your foot on the brake, throw it into park, TURN THE ENGINE OFF,and do your normal check. if you follow that procedure and the car is lvl it should always read the same. Or at least close to the same. Also, be sure you're pushing the dipstick all the way in.
Honda (unlike most other cars) does NOT want you to check auto-tranny fluid with the engine idling. Ormaybe the V-6 is different?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: measuring trans. level properly