General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

melting brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Default melting brake pedal

Hello everybody, this is my first post. I am what you call a newbie at this posting thing. The problem that I am having is that at times (and becoming more frequent), my brake pedal will essentially depress to the floor with a feeling that the brake pedal is melting away. The breaks will barely work. I've almost peed in my pants several times when coming to a stop at an intersection. I've also noticed that this seems to happen more during the summer months. Anyways, I have researched my problem and believe it to be with my breakmaster cylinder or possibly a small leak in my break line. I was wondering if anybody has had a similar problem or if those with more mechanical experience can help me. I have taken my car ( 96 accord ex V6 2.2L) to a mechanic and he told me he couldn't find any problem with the pads although he did bleed the lines for me. This was 3-4 months ago (colder months) and now the problem is back. Hope somebody has an idea. Thanks any and everbody.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Default RE: melting brake pedal

The Master Cylinder is most likely the culprit but the ENTIRE brake system needs to be be checked out by a professional.

Old 04-29-2006, 01:51 AM

u need to have a FULL brake tear down... and have everything examined... it wouldent need to be bled... and it definately wont be the pads.... u could have a blown caliper or wheel cylinder... u could have a bad hose... a loose fitting... the list goes on... so take it down to a reputable mechanic... and let him do the work...

Old 04-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you need a brake mastr cylinder................do yourself a favor and install a Honda factory part ,,I have sen a few aftermarket that won't last long,

Old 07-28-2006, 11:15 AM
acreesefamily
Unregistered

Our 96 Accord is having the same problem intermittently. It has been taken to a few different service stations, but they are unable to determine the cause, even after specifically requesting that they look at the a leak in the master cylinder. Were you able to get this fixed? What was the outcome?

Old 07-28-2006, 12:57 PM

it does sound like a master cylinder, but don't forget that a 1996 ex had the notorious abs system that also could be part of this problem, the abs is a very expensive fix, over $1000 dollars.

Old 07-28-2006, 04:16 PM

This is happening to me also...only on days that are over 100 degrees though. Otherwise the problem does not exist. I have no leaks and the brakes work just fine when not hot out (meaning below 100). So how can this be pegged as the master cylinder??? Just curious folks...unless all of ours are going out at the same time...but then again, why does it work when cold?

BTW - 96 Accord LX

peace out,
daddy

Old 07-28-2006, 04:38 PM

when it's colder outside the fluid is thicker which could be part of the reasons... I'm assuming it's a problem with the master cylinder as well... However, what I wanted to mention to people with brake issues is to remember that your e-brake is a cable controlled brake. So when/if you get into a situation where you have no brakes just very slowly and easily apply the e-brake (keep your thumb on the button) this is a good thing to go to a parking lot and practice. Accelerate to about 25 then depress the button and slowly lift the handle and your car will slow. If you jerk it up you're going to have issues.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:46 PM

It has to do with the seals not actually sealing due to the higher temps. Instead of the piston forcing the fluid into the calipers, the fluid blows by the piston seals and you lose braking power. Sir_Nasty's point was also valid. When the fluid is thicker, it's easier for the seals to do their job.

At least that's how I understand it.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

I vote for a bad master cylinder.

96accord, please check for any fluid leaking OUT. Also, be aware whether the brake fluid inventory (in the reservoir) goes down. If nothing leaks out, it's the master cylinder.

The fluid leaks past the piston seals, effectively leaking back into the reservoir. That's why it doesn't leak OUT.

Sometimes bleeding the brakes will help, but that's only temporary.

Quick Reply: melting brake pedal