General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mk VIII Accord Tourer handbrake clunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 11:06 AM
Default Mk VIII Accord Tourer handbrake clunk

Hi all, I'm new here, I have just replaced the rear brake discs, pads and handbrake shoes along with new springs on my 2011 MK VIII Accord Tourer, I have adjusted the handbrake cable and both rear wheels lock except they both rotate by a small amount back and forward with a metallic clunk, almost as if the backplate is rotating by a small amount which it obviously isn't, is this usual? Its nothing that I've done as it it was doing it before I took it apart. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced it.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not familiar with the non-US accords, but it sounds like you have a rear drum brake for your emergency brake.

When adjusting the shoes, I will adjust the shoes, pull the emergency brake, then do a full readjustment on the shoes. See the last part of this video on how he does the adjustment, where he adjusts where the wheel locks, then back off until it spins freely. I to this twice, so before puling the e-brake and after just to make sure I'm adjusted properly.

If this doesn't fix the issue, then you may have to pull the disc/drum and see if something is loose that holds the shoes in place.

Old 07-05-2020, 12:46 PM

The brake drum is integral to the rear brake disc, so the shoes are solely used for the parking brake, I checked everything throughly, slackened off the hand brake cable before adjusting the shoes as you would do normally with drum brakes adjusting the shoes until the drum locks and then backing them off until they spin freely with a very slight drag, I used all new springs and shoe retainers, I then adjusted the cable until the the lever had 4-5 clicks of travel.
You can't really get it wrong because they're so simple and straightforward. I just thought it strange that it does it on both sides and it was doing it before I took it apart, I would've said exactly the same thing, but all looks perfect and everything bar the backplates has been replaced.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Dazzel
The brake drum is integral to the rear brake disc, so the shoes are solely used for the parking brake, I checked everything throughly, slackened off the hand brake cable before adjusting the shoes as you would do normally with drum brakes adjusting the shoes until the drum locks and then backing them off until they spin freely with a very slight drag, I used all new springs and shoe retainers, I then adjusted the cable until the the lever had 4-5 clicks of travel.
You can't really get it wrong because they're so simple and straightforward. I just thought it strange that it does it on both sides and it was doing it before I took it apart, I would've said exactly the same thing, but all looks perfect and everything bar the backplates has been replaced.
Did you re-install the disc brake rotor mounting screws? Just asking, as if those are left off, the rotor will move against the lug studs until the tire is replaced (locks the rotor in place, keeping it from moving).

Old 07-05-2020, 01:39 PM

Yeah, all of the countersunk screws were refitted, the wheel studs were moving with the drum/disc, I keep thinking maybe the brake shoes are the shape for the size of the drum, but the shoes were identical to the ones that came off, unless the original ones were wrong, but I find that hard to believe, I can always check the old shoes against the old brake disc.

This was taken a while ago during a service, just checking, cleaning and adjusting, but you can see how they fit, there's not a lot to it to be honest.

Last edited by Dazzel; 07-05-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:47 PM

Old 07-06-2020, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dazzel
Looks exactly like the same set up on my daughter in laws 08 Honda Pilot.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:16 AM

Can you tell if it is the left or right side?

Old 07-10-2020, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by rockhoundrob
Can you tell if it is the left or right side?
Maybe if you were a little further back I could. But it looks like the right side if I had to guess.

Old 07-23-2020, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Maybe if you were a little further back I could. But it looks like the right side if I had to guess.
it's the right hand side, you can see the threads where the brake caliper bolts screw in.

Quick Reply: Mk VIII Accord Tourer handbrake clunk