General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 12:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default more issues

92 ex started it up let run for 15min (its -20 here) drove it for 2 miles then died.. no lights on would noy start up.. past couple of days it was running but at low idle was fluttering.. gas or spark i dont know would die when i would come to a stop and then go again.. now it wont even start on its own but when i pulled start it it fired up and got me home 2 miles getting frustrated new fuel pump and filter thinking maybe ingition module maybe please help i plan on pulling off the distributor and looking around there first

Old 01-20-2011, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Have you checked for error codes? Have you done any work on your car recently?

When you turn the key to start the car, does the starter crank the engine like on a normal startup?

Are your maintenance items up to date like spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor?

When the engine is cold, open up radiator cap to see if the coolant is filled to the top of the radiator.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:00 AM
Newest Of Newbies

tries to start like normal just wont fire everthing is old plugs wires cap rotor it has 200000 plus on it parents bought with 60000 and i got it with 150000 niether of us did any of that work to it little scared to try the old short out the wire code thing im kinda just a oil change brake pads guy but will try to save money where i can and to be informed

Old 01-20-2011, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

If you can do brake pads, then shorting that connector is simple in comparison. It takes about 5 minutes and can help identify a bad sensor.

I would change the spark plugs. Get the NGKs ZFR6F-11 at any parts store, they are the V-power ones. It will cost ~$6 for all four.

I would remove the distributor cap and inspect the 4 contacts inside. If they look worn, replace along with the rotor. I would get them from a Honda Dealership. They will probably run ~$30.

Inspect the spark plug wires for cracks in the insulation. Honda wires seem to last forever, so I would hold off on those.

Update the maintenance items to rule them out, before moving on to other things.

Take a look at the owner's manual to get an idea of what maintenance needs to be done. When was the timing belt and water pump last changed?

Old 01-20-2011, 01:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies

timing belt and water pump replaced 2000 miles ago radiator about 3000 thanks for your help

Old 01-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

so i replaced the distributor cap and rotor it looked worn also put new plugs in still wont start but will run for a little when pull started at a high rpm only where do i look from here no check engine lights come so i assume i cant check for codes??

Last edited by whitetailkiller-2008; 01-22-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

You can still check for codes. If the check engine light remains on, then your ECU has no codes stored. Post results when you check for codes.

The next thing to test is spark. Do you have a timing light? If so, you can hook that up and see if enough spark is generated to flash the timing light. If you don't have a timing light, you can use an old spark plug to test for spark. See the tegger site referenced in the sticky at the top of the gen tech help forum. That site has a lot of troubleshooting information.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

also when i changed my plugs 2 of them were covered in oil is this bad or just a gasket some where? still driveable i assume it never leak out on to ground

Old 01-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

The valve cover gasket and upper seals are likely the problem. There is a DIY writeup about oil in spark plug wells that will help you. There are lower seals that are much more work to change.

Pay attention to the direction the upper seals are installed. Depending on the model, they can be counter-intuitive on which side of the gasket you install.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

so checked the code and came up with four short a pause and then 2 short assume its a 6 water temp sensor is this causeing my issues??? or maybe its 2 codes a 4 and then a 2 crank sensor and o2 sensor??? it was the srs light that did the blinking not the cel

Last edited by whitetailkiller-2008; 01-23-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: more issues