General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

mouse in hvac

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default mouse in hvac

hello, this is not only my first post but my first honda. i bought this car as a commuter from an old lady, its an 87 in excellent shape. 140k and immaculate, garage kept with all maintenance records. so far i have been loving the car and consider it a classic with antique plates going on this year for its 25th bday.

the problem i have run into is that the mouse or chipmunk that was living in it has died and is trapped in the hvac. im sure i am not the only one who has had this problem. however i have no shop manual or any idea how to get into the heating system. my search was not that productive and i am really looking for locations for me to get into the hvac and get this smelly thing out.

thanks for your time.

1987 honda accord dx 4 door. 2.0 carbed four cyl. manual trans.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

It depends on where the mouse is located. You may be able to pull the blower motor to access.

I would open the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum. Open the online shop manuals link. The honda-tech link in there will have a shop manual for your generation of accord (86-89, I think).

Old 02-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies

i will check that but one thing i neglected to say was when i turn the blower on i get covered in debris from a nest. if that will help with the location.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:54 PM

Get the FSM and drop the blower box glue some screning on top of it to keep the little b#$$%%^ out of thare Or a big mean CAT

Old 02-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

thanks for the laugh.
I've had Accords, Forester, Altima and I live in a rural area where have problems with mice and cottontails.
On the Accords and Forester I keep mouse traps in the trunk or behind the seat active all the time to catch them.
Only the Altima seemed mouse tight. One day noticed a mouse crawling around the wipers a couple miles from the house (but hadn't gotten into the interior!) obviously not liking the mechanical aspects of his new home; when stopped at bank drive-thru he must have dropped down 'cuz saw mouse hot-footing it away over the blazing hot mid-day asphalt temps - HA.

Originally Posted by 600Polaris
i bought this car as a commuter from an old lady, its an 87 in excellent shape. 140k and immaculate, garage kept with all maintenance records...
Sounds nice. for this I'd also consider taking it to the dealer for a (usually) bargain priced new car inspection and mention this problem.
Bet they'd do a cheaper than normal extraction for you and you'd get an inspection report out of it too.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, I really like the 3rd gens

Old 02-19-2012, 09:02 AM

get a tiny remote controlled tank and put a remote camera on it with a light and drive it through your vent system, when you see the little critter snag him with the grappling hook and pull him out.
if he was still alive you could attach a lil 22 pistol and hit the trigger button on the remote, shoot him dead and then drag him out.
or you can pull your whole dash apart and get the rotten corpse out.
you decide.
if you decide on option 1 make sure not to snag the heater core with the hook, they are fragile.
funny thing is i had an employer who had a mouse in his walls and his kid had a remote controlled tank, he attached a tiny camera, syncd it with a tv and found the lil bugger, he wanted to attach a gun and shoot it dead but his wife didnt want a hole in the wall from the bullet, or worse a bullet through a water pipe.
true story

Last edited by kyle102565; 02-19-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies

i have used a remote control to pull a thread thru conduit on a bridge over the highway i was building, then tied thread to string pulled that thru, then to the rope then the wire.

but today i am just going to rip the dash apart till i find the dead chipmunk or whatever is in there. dissect the honda.

if i put a screen over the blower that would stop the debris but not the smell or the haanta virus that is passed to humans from contact with mice which i am more concerned about.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, taking it apart is a PITA, but I don't think any of us would put up with leaving a dead rodent in there if it were our car.

I'd really start with dropping the blower motor out the bottom - that might just get it.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ripped it apart and yes it was a pita to do, so small compared to my truck made for fatties, but really didnt need to keep grabbing tools which was nice because a phillips and a 10mm socked could just about disassemble the entire interior.

all i found was acorns and debris, no carcasses yet. i took the blower out, the main air intake below the windshield and the dash down to the heater and all i could find was evidence of rodents.

hopefully ill find it somewhere else in the car soon. to make matters worse a
i went to go start my snowmobile for the first time (horrible riding winter this year, no snow) and checked the intake for mice and sure enough they were there too eating up my airbox and electrical, its fuel injected, unlike my honda and has more horse power, which i think is a little funny. i even had mothballs in the sled because thats my baby and i wanted her to be safe...

now starts my war on mice with my redneck homemade mouse traps.

Last edited by 600Polaris; 02-21-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply: mouse in hvac