General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

MPG less than promised

Old 02-12-2007, 12:25 AM
aglatm
Unregistered
Default MPG less than promised

Hi all,

Amonth ago I bought a brand new Accord 2007, V4 LX Auto and I am getting 22.3 MPG (I drive95% highways). Honda website promises 24 city and 34 highway. It is cold here in NY right now and I do warm up the car for about 4-5 min twice a day before I use it. Does it explain 22.3 MPG ? Do I have a problem with a filter ? Any feedback would be appreciated.

thnx
Alex

Old 02-12-2007, 12:29 AM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered
Default RE: MPG less than promised

Hey, you really didnt need to post it twice lol.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:35 AM
jwelsch
Unregistered

Takes 3000 or so miles before engine is broken in enough to get best mileage and you never need to warm up a honda before driving . . . normal driving is the best way to warm up the car and get max mileage.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:42 AM

Driving style could really have an effect on gas milage. sudden accelaration and hard braking is one big factor.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:17 PM

Iam am from new york and i can agree its very cold up here. It could be the cold weather but the notice shouldnt be great maybe you loss like 1mpg or 2mpg max. How many miles you have on your car. You might have to wait till the engine is complety broken in intill you reach max potential. also there no need to warm up your car just srat it up wait 5 seconds and then drive. You get better MPG that way.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Well I always warm up my cars until the windows get cleared off,I don't care if it costs me 30 cents in gas, to idle for10-15 minutes.
The engine does in fact have a certain "operating" temp, so no harm whatsoever is being done by allowing the engine to warm up.
All those people that just jump in and drive are the idiots cutting other people off in traffic because they can't see anything out the rear/side windows.
Saw one dufus driving and reaching out the window trying to scrape frost off the windshield at 50 mph on the highway last week.
Again; I'd rather spend the 30 cents in gas to have a SAFE and comfortable car to drive to work in the morning.
As far as the OP you are under warranty, talk to the dealer after you have kept a log of fill ups [gallons]and miles driven.
Also understand that about 80% of rated MPG is normal, because the cars are tested sitting on a set of bearing rollers while run at 'X' speed. Not exactly real world conditions huh?

Old 03-25-2008, 09:59 PM
mndart
Unregistered

I have a 2007 with 880 miles on it. So far, I am getting about 16-17mpg. I think Accord gas mileage is terrible. It is worse than my Toyota HIGHLANDER,which averaged 17.5, and my Bimmer 325i, which I drove very hard, and got 21.5 mpg.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You live in NY!!! There's no way to safely get onto a highway and maximize your mpg at the same time! Also, warming the car up for more than 30 seconds will cost you some milage and is unnecessary. You'd be better off starting the car and by the time you put on the seatbelt, drive, but try to keep the rpms below 3500 for the first 5 minutes.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:29 AM

I have a 2007 Accord 4 cyl automatic. I have never gotten the advertised mileage. The most I have ever gotten on the highway was 31.5 MPG. If my wife drives it it averages between 27.5 and 28.5 MPG. Love the car and it now has 92K miles and so far has been trouble free, but I am very dissapointed with the fuel economy. Our daughter has a 2007 Chevey Cobalt that gets over 35MPG. Up to this point all we have done is replace tires, brakes, wipers, and normal maintenance. Did have to have the battery replaced (under warranty) at 2 years old.

Willie Pruett

Old 07-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by falkore24
You live in NY!!! There's no way to safely get onto a highway and maximize your mpg at the same time! Also, warming the car up for more than 30 seconds will cost you some milage and is unnecessary. You'd be better off starting the car and by the time you put on the seatbelt, drive, but try to keep the rpms below 3500 for the first 5 minutes.
When you drive your engine cold like that ^^^ you actually waste more gas then lettin it sit and warm up. Also your in cold weather makes it worse your ECU is tellin the injectors to spit out lots more fuel to warm up the engine to its norm. operating temp. So Hodadude is right your better off warming up your car 1st be4 driving. I do this w/ every car I have and do own. Warming up Also helps evaporate all the moister in the crank case so it doesnt get sucked into your intake mani and burnt up while engine at higher RPM while driving

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MPG less than promised