General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Multiple Codes? Bad Brain?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Default Multiple Codes? Bad Brain?

Hey guys I have a 96 Accord 2.2l VTEC. The check engine light came on a long time ago and it very slowly developed a stutter/lack of power off the line!?! Cleared code,....did it again. Checked code again and got multiple codes. Meanwhile the loss of power out off the line is getting worse, and when im goin down the road it feels like it "misses" every now and then. Havent done anything to try to fix it yet aside from a fuel filter.

WTF is goin on? The mechanic said with multiple codes hes not sure where to start and that it could possibly be the main computer goin out. I need help bad. Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks in advance guys.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Would you post all of the codes that you got from the ECU?

Old 04-13-2010, 10:55 PM

Yeah thats where I kinda dropped the ball. I dont now the exact codes. One said it ran or was running lean, (bank 1 lean?) another said map sensor, and o2 scensor. Sorry dont have specifics. I've driven it about 20 miles and it hasent came on again, but it came on within 15 miles last time!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Well, go to autozone and have the codes read. Be sure to get the Pxxxx code numbers. The OBD-2 port is behind the ash tray.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:10 PM

K ill do that. Dumb question, but the light has to be on to get a code right? Also just off hand does anyone think the stutter prob and code are related? And maybe whats causing the stutter?

Sorry for the newb questions, I just need to get this fixed asap! Thanks again for the replys.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yes, next time the light comes on go get them read. The problem would probably trigger a code, but not necessarily.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

If the codes were not erased when you were at autozone, then you can still have them read off of the ECU. They are stored for a set number of drive cycles.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Clearing the codes won't stop them from coming right back; you have to fix the problem.
There's nothing to prevent the ECU from "discovering" the problem again immediately.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Clearing the codes won't stop them from coming right back; you have to fix the problem.
There's nothing to prevent the ECU from "discovering" the problem again immediately.
I understand this. Id love to fix the prob, I just dont know where to start when it gives multiple codes. The mechanic I went to didnt really know where to start either without just replacing everything and charging me an arm and a leg! So Im just trying to get an idea, once it goes off again ill see if its the same things and prob just start replacing stuff.

I just want to know if anyone knows what could be causing the stuttering, cause thats where I want to start. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Once we know the actual code numbers, there's quite a few of us on here who can give you a good idea of what to check, what to measure, what to fix first. Certain codes are relatively well-known to be caused by other codes. I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone say "fix P0xxx first & that'll probably make P0yyy go away". But we need the error numbers.

Quick Reply: Multiple Codes? Bad Brain?