General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple Misfire, All Coils Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 08:05 AM
Default Multiple Misfire, All Coils Replaced

My car is at the Honda Dealer. He has replaced all 6 of the coils. Originally the check engine light came on. I took it in and the light was on but nothing showed up on the tool. Cleared the light and it ran normally. Brought it home and the next morning the light was on. I took it back and Cyl 3,4&5 showed up after the car was left outside in the cold. Replaced the coils on the three cylinders and everything looked normal until next morning and the light cam back on. Took it back to the shop where it is right now and the other 3 coils were replaced, but now 2&5 shows up misfiring. The EGR tube, ports were cleaned but they didn't have much associated with them.

Two weeks before the car was in the shop for the recall drivers air bag and everything was normal for two weeks after when I started noticing some slight missing when cranked first thing in the morning. Driving it appeared ok with the same pep and go.

The Mechanic has 25 years as a Certified Honda Mechanic and is stumped. any suggestions would be appreciated. The car will be looked at in the morning but I am not hopeful. Once the car starts and warms up, everything is normal but the light!

Old 12-14-2014, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I moved your post to a new thread (separate problem, new thread). You need to add info on your year, model, etc to get help.

regards

Old 12-14-2014, 12:06 PM

Sounds like your "25 year certified mechanic" is just throwing parts at it. No way, did all 6 coils go out at the same time. it's your money.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by EXV6NIGHTHAWK
Sounds like your "25 year certified mechanic" is just throwing parts at it. No way, did all 6 coils go out at the same time. it's your money.
No they didn't all go out at the same time and I agree the coils seem to be changing! As it stands now 1&5 are misfiring?

My car is a 2001, Honda Accord V6 with all services performed by Honda. Mileage is 155k.

Last edited by tferstl; 12-15-2014 at 04:47 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:20 AM

Be sure that the valve clearance is properly adjusted, you are using the iridium Honda spark plugs and most importantly the Honda service bulletin for the EGR port in the intake manifold has been performed. I would be looking at the EGR as the cause given the two cylinder misfires that you noted.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tferstl
No they didn't all go out at the same time and I agree the coils seem to be changing! As it stands now 1&5 are misfiring?

My car is a 2001, Honda Accord V6 with all services performed by Honda. Mileage is 155k.
My 2001 Accord V6 started misfiring last spring; my mechanic initially told me three cylinders had all gone out at once. I instructed him to move the coils around and track where the missing went, and he ended up finding one bad coil; once replaced the issue hasn't resurfaced.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Turtlehead
Be sure that the valve clearance is properly adjusted, you are using the iridium Honda spark plugs and most importantly the Honda service bulletin for the EGR port in the intake manifold has been performed. I would be looking at the EGR as the cause given the two cylinder misfires that you noted.
The EGR was replaced. Got a call from the service manager. They started looking at the fuel supply. When they checked they found a slight decrease in the pressure. So they pulled the plugs for 2&5 and the plugs were wet. Indicating the injectors were permitting fuel to seep unto the cylinders. They are replacing the two injectors and I should know if that solves the problem. Hope so! This sort of accounts for the misfiring after setting over ite and running ok after warmed up. Will keep posting till it gets resolved.