General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 99 accord is stalling....need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 01:22 AM
Default my 99 accord is stalling....need help

Hi....I hoping I can get some answers!! ... I have a 99 accord ex sedan with the 2.3...and its been stalling alot lately...either while im stopped or driving!! The ignition switch has been changed awhile back....I just today changed the distributor n still no change!! I cleaned the egr valve..and I put new ground wires in on the motor..!! When it stalls...all the lights on the dash don't come on....only the security light comes on....n it takes a few trys to start it back up....im.getting a smooth idle when its running...n it throws ogg no engine codes!! ...please help me...if u need more info..let me know

Old 05-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Even though the switch was replaced, doesn't mean it will never fail again.

When it dies, what is missing? Could be ICM or coil going bad. Some places can test the ICM. Do you have a manual to help with the testing.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:52 AM

How can I tell if the switch is bad again? N what is the icm?

Old 05-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

ICM/ignitor, the thing that tells the coil when to fire.

Testing the switch, do you have a manual, I think the blk/yel (94-97) wire should have voltage when the switch is on-so when it dies, what voltage do you have there? Again need a manual for your model, don't have that one saved on this computer. Look in the DIY section for a link to one you can download.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:47 AM

Ill have to get the switch tested..n isn't the icm built into the distributor? If so I changed the distributor last night.....after I changed the distributor the car seemed to run fine....before I changed it..it would take a couple of tries to start the car but would still stall...when stopped at a light or stall whiling driving....but since I changed it...the car now starts fine....but after a couple hours of the car running ...it stalled twice....n took like ten tries to start...n still no lights on the dash when it stalled...it was as if I never turned the car on....confused

Old 05-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Someone just told me it sounds like the map sensor is bad?!?....is that a possibility?

Old 05-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

That would usually set a code, you said there were no stored codes.

So when it does, no lights come on, not even the oil pressure light?

Old 05-01-2011, 01:45 PM

Actually I was wrong....I forgot that I replaced the battery 2 days ago...n I had checked the codes...n I did have that as a code!!! ....but since I put the battery in my check engine light is now on again..but it reads p420....the map sensor code didn't come back on yet...since the change of the battery I haven't gone over 100 miles yet.....should I drive it a lil longer to see if the map sensor code comes back on?

Old 05-02-2011, 08:58 AM

@poorman212 .....no lights come on when it stalls.....not one single light....if I have my headlights on n the radio on....those stay on n working ....but no dash lights at at all..last night I changed the spark plugsn wires....n it stalled again on the way to work!! But this time it took one time to start the car

Old 05-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sure leaning towards the switch....no lights, like the switch is off. Again if you could wire in a light into the Ign output side of the switch....would tell the story.

Quick Reply: my 99 accord is stalling....need help