General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Accord "hiccupped" on the highway last night

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Default My Accord "hiccupped" on the highway last night

Hi all,

My 1998 LX-G 4-door Accord sedan has just rolled over 200,000km and is in fantastic shape. Previously owned by my father before he sold it to us, the southern Ontario (but frequently wintered in Arizona) car has been a great ride ... no rust or mechanical problems to date, regular oil changes, just passed it's emissions test for a licence renewal with flying colours, and very well maintained at a local Honda dealer (thanks, dad).

A few days ago, the yellow "Maintenance Required" light came on and stayed on. I thought I'd drop it into the dealer just post-holdiays to see what's up.

Last night I was on my way back from Toronto after dropping off a relative post-Xmas dinner. 100km there, and 100km back. I drive relatively conservatively on the highways ... about 110km steady, 120-125 if I need to pass. But ... As I'm exiting off the 401 around midnight, cool and damp weather, something really weird happened.

The best way to describe it? The car "hiccupped". It was though the entire car shut off for just less than a second ... engine, lights, interior lights, steering, everything. Just "blip" and then everything was normal again. But long enough to go "WTF?" out loud. (The kicker is that my wife thought she'd experienced the same sort of hiccup about a week ago as well, but wasn't sure.)

At that point, the yellow "Engine" (malfunction) light also lit up. Both lights are now on (I had to drive about 25km still to home) and parked it in the garage.

The car starts fine this AM, and it sounds likes it is running fine. Engine nice and smooth sounding yet both lights are still on the dash.

Any idea at all what might cause this? What to ask about when I drop it off at the local Honda place tomorrow morning? I'd be grateful for any suggestions and advice. Thanks.

Last edited by DaveyJJ; 12-26-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Maint req light= some reg maint is due, oil change, tune up ect. This is usually driven by milage. Meaning every X miles/km it comes on telling you that you need to change oil, ect........

MIL/CEL= this comes on when the computer detects an issue. You'd need to get the code ("P" and four numbers, P0420 for example) to know what it detected.

For the issue???

I would ask the dealer if the ing switch was ever replaced under the recall. Should get the first one for free.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:14 PM

Thank you poorman212.

I've figured out that I can check the code without an OBD-II tool (Check Engine Light codes (CEL) Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) and - Honda-Tech) and have a found a good source explaining how to test and replace the ignition switch (1998-2002 Honda Accord Ignition Switch Replacement - Honda-Tech) if the dealer's already done it.

I will report back when I know more.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:03 AM

Found the original receipt from the recall so the ignition switch has, in fact, been replaced. Neighbour across the way is a auto mechanic so I'm talking to him this AM before calling Honda.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Just know that the switch could still be the issue, as I said - the first one is free. There is not an "updated" version, Honda would just replace the old one with the same one.
If you have or can find someone with an OBDII reader you can get the code(s). From there at least you know what system to start testing.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:05 AM

Woo-hoo! Got the error code. It's 45 (aka P0171 or P0172) which translates to the system is too lean or too rich (malfunction in fuel monitoring systems).

O2 sensor? Fuel injectors? How easy are the spark plugs to look at to see if they're white/black? What should my next steps be in your opinion?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Personally.....with the "blip" and then the CEL/MIL coming on.....I would clear the code....I think the 98 you can still pull the backup fuse - BE SURE you have the radio code (factory radio) because this will also reset the radio. Then see if the code comes back.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:59 AM

OK, I pulled fuse 13 on the passenger side to reset the error code. Started the car and drove it for about 10 minutes around the neighbourhood and the Engine Malfunction light has stayed off. Maint Reqd light is still on though, and the idle is really low (600 rpm or so), but other wise, seems fine.

I'll just drive normally and see if it re-occurs, then, or the Engine Malfunction light comes on?

Thanks for all your feedback, poorman212. Have you enjoyed the holidays?

P.S. Is there any way to reset the Maint Reqd light, though?

Old 12-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Two things, and I thought about this later.......

1) Base idle re-learn. There is a write up in the "Common DIY Threads" sticky at the top of this section that walks you thru the process.....sorry, should have pointed this out earlier....bam...hammer to head....
2) Service/Maint light or icon. Traveling right now and I don't have all my usual stuff with me...manuals, wirte ups, ect, to tell you exactly how to re-set right now. This info should be in the owners manaul. If you don't have it, try www dot ahm-ownerlink dot com. Put in your car info and you should be able to download one.....at least in the US....not sure about Canada.

Hope you enjoyed the Holidays....

Last edited by poorman212; 12-27-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:20 PM

I'm having this issue, but no lights are staying on, usually the key light will blink when the car turns off. I just purchased this as a cash car and had a full tune up on it. What was the solution?

Quick Reply: My Accord "hiccupped" on the highway last night