Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   My car keeps cutting out on me! (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/my-car-keeps-cutting-out-me-66630/)

Shawboi 04-12-2019 03:00 PM

My car keeps cutting out on me!

I have a 94 accord ex..when I drive the car for about 3 miles then it cuts out loss all power and the car cuts off can't press the gas and the steering wheel locks up...I've replaced distributor cap and motor and I replaced the main rely..and I'm still havingthe problems can somoody help me please thank u

hmr 04-12-2019 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Shawboi (Post 384832)
I have a 94 accord ex..when I drive the car for about 3 miles then it cuts out loss all power and the car cuts off can't press the gas and the steering wheel locks up...I've replaced distributor cap and motor and I replaced the main rely..and I'm still havingthe problems can somoody help me please thank u

I owned a ' 94 Honda Accord EX sedan with A/T, 4 cyl. That car had a distributor assembly recall. Honda warned that the car could stall in traffic AND that's exactly what happened to me. The car completely shut down on me in traffic ! I was in the left lane on a busy city street with a painted island next to me. Thankfully, I was able to coast into that island and escape collision or we would have been toast. Good luck and be careful !

JimBlake 04-12-2019 06:34 PM

Do you get a check-engine light anytime? (and does it light up for the 2-second bulb-check when you start?)

There's an "ignitor" inside the distributor (its some kind of isolation-amplifier for the spark signal). Its almost like that thing gets hot after a few miles & quits. I'm guessing that's what the recall was all about. Certainly if it's a recall, you could call any Honda dealer & they can tell by your VIN whether your car is covered & whether it was already done.

Another thing is it's not real uncommon to have a flaky ignition switch. The electrical part of the switch gets flaky and it's exactly like you had turned off the key.

If you can get the engine to stall by wiggling the key, that nails it. Unfortunately, if it doesn't make it stall, that DOESN'T prove your ignition switch is OK.

The Toecutter 04-13-2019 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 384835)
Do you get a check-engine light anytime? (and does it light up for the 2-second bulb-check when you start?)

There's an "ignitor" inside the distributor (its some kind of isolation-amplifier for the spark signal). Its almost like that thing gets hot after a few miles & quits. I'm guessing that's what the recall was all about. Certainly if it's a recall, you could call any Honda dealer & they can tell by your VIN whether your car is covered & whether it was already done.

Another thing is it's not real uncommon to have a flaky ignition switch. The electrical part of the switch gets flaky and it's exactly like you had turned off the key.

If you can get the engine to stall by wiggling the key, that nails it. Unfortunately, if it doesn't make it stall, that DOESN'T prove your ignition switch is OK.

Also keep in mind the main relay can cut out when it gets too hot. Honda had issues with that on some cars. This led to a lot of people thinking that a main relay is one of the first things to check/replace when having starting/running issues.