General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My car mysteriously starts and doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 10:43 AM
Default My car mysteriously starts and doesn't start

This all started last week. Tried to start it, engine made a sound but didn't turn over. Ended up just adding oil because it was really low and I figured it wouldn't hurt. Two days after this I was going to take it to a nearby mechanic and it started. Drove around perfectly fine all week until this past Friday. When it refused to turnover again. So naturally, I added more oil even though it had more than the first time it didn't start. I also added gas because it was low also. A day later it started up normal. Now I'm worried that it won't start up in a few days. Any ideas as to what could be wrong? I have a 1998 Accord and don't really want to invest more money in it.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Clean battery connections thoroughly first. A poor connection can cause intermittent no-start. Also have battery tested at this time to confirm a good battery.

If battery and cables are good, then weak starter solenoid or faulty starter cut relay is most likely the problem. To confirm you will need to perform diagnostics w/ a test light or VOM to confirm that a start signal on small blk/wht wire at starter solenoid is present.

If not up for testing, you will need some help to repair.

good luck

Old 09-08-2015, 11:37 AM

In addition to what is mentioned above..do you have a after market alarm system? Over time these start to act up and create odd no start issues.