General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Daughter is hearing what she describes as a hamster cage sound in her 2009 Accord.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Default My Daughter is hearing what she describes as a hamster cage sound in her 2009 Accord.

Any ideas?

More of a squeaking sound. She says it sounds worse when she brakes but doesn't entirely go away when she is running under normal conditions. I'll get more information when she calls me back later.

My Wife says she can't hear the noise but she's having some hearing issues.

I am thinking pads and rotors. The Accord is a V6 with about 36K miles.

The previous owner is not available to find out much history on the vehicle.

I can't listen to it right now as she and my Wife are out of town. I looked at the rotors a couple of weeks ago and there was no scoring and it looked like she had plenty of pad left but that was only a visual thru the rim inspection.

Thanks,

Bexar

Old 06-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The worn brake indicators make a periodic squeaking that will get your attention fast.

good luck

Old 06-19-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
The worn brake indicators make a periodic squeaking that will get your attention fast.

good luck
Thanks,

That's what I was thinking but do they continue to squeak when the brakes are released and how long do rotors usually last before they need to be changed out?

Bexar

Old 06-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Most 2008-2009 Accords had a premature wear issue with the rear brake pads. There was a settlement with Honda regarding this, I don't know if the dealer will still replace for free or that you can submit a claim anymore at this time. Search the internet regarding the rear brake pad settlement.

When the pads wear down, the wear indicator will make noise even if you don't step on the brakes. If you replace the pads soon enough, there usually is no need to replace the rotors. Rotors should be replaced if they have deep gouges in them or are past the specified service limits. At around 36,000 miles the rotors usually do not need to be replaced unless you don't change the worn brake pads soon enough or there is some other problem.