General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My First Accord

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Question My First Accord

Hey everybody!

I am 18 and i just got my first car. Its a 1991 Honda Accord EX with a little over 314,000 miles on it. Still runs like a CHAMP! Starts up in the cold or hot weather really quick. It really performs like a new car. I love it so much i would never give it up for a new one. The oil has not been changed in a long time. Same for the tranny fluid.

How easy is it to change the oil my self? and i mean the filter too.

Just wanted to ask this question and introduce my self and my new set of wheels

Old 02-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on the car.

Changing the oil/oil filter and trans fluid are not that hard. One of the most important things, you will need to get under the car so be sure it is supported properly--i.e. jack stands. From there,, nothing to it. Auto or manual trans?

Old 02-06-2011, 02:23 PM

the oil is easy as pie, and the tranny fluid is only slightly harder.
Things you will need;
Oil (obviously),
filter (also obvious).
a jack,
jack stands,
filter wrench,
drain pan (could be anything),
wheel chocks (I dont use these usually but its kindof a safety thing)
and something to get the drain plug out, I dont remmeber the exact size bolt it is, but any socket set should work.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Adler
wheel chocks (I dont use these usually but its kindof a safety thing)
and something to get the drain plug out, I dont remmeber the exact size bolt it is, but any socket set should work.
Chocks can be a simple as bricks...That is what I use.

17mm for the oil drian plug...the trans drain is just the plain 3/8 ratchet...the trans fill depends on auto or manual?

Old 02-06-2011, 07:04 PM

It's best to have the engine oil warm, when draining it, so you have to be very careful removing the oil filter. It's very close to the hot exhaust pipe. Safety first, use jack stands.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:14 AM
Smile

Thanks all for the advice!

It is a auto

I did the oil change today...it went great other than the fact the i had to overcome my fear of getting underneath the car.(WOW i was shaky) The oil filter came off with just my arm str. Put the new one the same way. I drove it right after and it was the best! Now i just need to keep taking care of it

Hope she stays on the road for a very long time

Thanks again

Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, once again, congrats....and please tell me you used jack stands...

Anyway from here the trans fluid is even easier-no filter involved. First, I strongly suggest using Honda Z1 fluid. On the right/pass side there is a drain bolt-round on the outside/center is a 3/8 square. Insert your 3/8 ratchet and remove the bolt. Then clean the drain plug. Install plug and fill trans with new fluid. A long funnel will def help....check the manual but I think the 91 will take 3 qts to refill, again check the manual.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Question

Yea i used jack stands lol

My dad says you never need to replace the trans fluid so i will have to take it to a buddys house

Is changing the trans fluid as easy as changing the oil?

Old 02-07-2011, 08:26 PM

In one way the transmission fluid is easier to change, because there's no filter to change. The drain bolts can be very tight, however, so make sure the 3/8" breaker bar is inserted all the way in the drain bolt, not just up to the ball on the drive. Filling the transmission can be a challenge too, without a long funnel, or combination funnel/hose.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

For the automatic, fill thru the dipstick hole. (I didn't see anyone actually SAY that)

Quick Reply: My First Accord