Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   my gas mileage sucks, whats your mpg? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/my-gas-mileage-sucks-whats-your-mpg-17843/)

ufosearch 04-17-2008 11:41 PM

my gas mileage sucks, whats your mpg?

I dont really know what kind of mileage to expect from my car, but I haven't calculated more than 250 miles a tank hardly ever. Lately its been getting worse, 100 miles on about half tank. I havent calculated more than 17 mpg ever in 2 years that i owned my car. I have cleaned out egr ports, ran seafoam after seafoam, regular oil changes, and i wash my dryflow filter when it gets dirty. i keep my tires 32psi a piece. I usually drive alone, and the only excess weight is my backpack and my sub box. the sparkplugs are denso iridiums, the plug wires test out ok in resistance, but look a little aged, and say 2001 on them. i tested the exhaust, noticeable back pressure, so the cat should be okay. Fuel filter is new, and it is honda genuine. and i just got through replacing both 02 sensors

I'd like to know what kinda mileage to expect.. i did a search, but inconclusive results.

What should the average mileage be?

What average city mileage does everyone else get? particularly 94-97 owners

Does the oil leaking into the sparkplug area effect anything?

Should I readjust my valves? New sparkplugs?

-Scott
97 accord 182k miles sri intake

finch13 04-18-2008 12:33 AM

RE: my gas mileage sucks, whats your mpg?

On my 95 I usually got 125 miles the first 1/4 tank, 100 miles for the next two 1/4's, and then like 75 for the last 1/4 total around 400. Usually somewhere around 23-26mpg. I get about 25-30mpg in my 99. One time in the 95 I got 150 miles to the tank, I drove aggressively over a period of two days.

00AccordLX5spd 04-18-2008 10:56 AM

my 95 V6 gets better mileage than that (over 300 miles to a tank)
my 2000 LX gets over 400 miles before the gas light even comes on (agerages 29mpg city & 32 or 33 mpg on highway)

sir_nasty 04-18-2008 11:42 AM

try this thread....

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_67727/tm.htm

JimBlake 04-18-2008 11:44 AM

My gas mileage sucks. When I'm riding my bike, if there's gasoline in the water bottle, it causes all sorts of problems, usually falling down & puking.

My cars on the other hand, do better on it...
07 Civic over 30 but not well documented yet.
05 Saabaru about 25mpg
03 Accord 32 up to maybe 40 on highway
01 Saab 25city to 31hiway

gomarlins3 04-18-2008 12:09 PM

I have been getting 28.5 MPG average since I got my '08 4 cyl. Quite the drop from the 55 MPG I was getting in my Insight that I traded in for it though. However, this car is SOOO much more comfortable.

TexasHonda 04-18-2008 01:03 PM

My 94EX w/ 220k miles gets 26-27 commuting and 30+ on an extendeddrive at freeway speed. My commuting drive is a 1-way, 20 mile route w/ perhaps 2/3 at 60-65 mph and 1/3 at 20-40mph. I'm pretty easy on the throttle, but don't consider myself a slow-poke either.

Suggestions are 1) easy on the throttle, 2) check brakes for excessive drag, 3) check fuel pressure regulator by sniffing vacuum line for gasoline smell. If strong smell, the diaphragm in the FPR is ruptured allowing gas to be pulled into throttle body, 4) check compressions (should be ~180 psi w/ slightly warmed engine).

Driving habits or drive profile are the big differences in mpg. If you drive hard w/ hard starts and accelerations, your mileage will suffer significantly. If your drive profile is a short drive at slow speeds, you will get poor mileage.

good luck

Fenix 04-18-2008 02:30 PM

I get 160miles per half tank city driving. If im on a highway trip i get 600+ miles per tank. I saw it first hand on my trip to detroit.

klrspz 04-18-2008 03:09 PM

600? Hmm.. sounds unlikely...

I've driven Accords, Civics, Maximas, Altimas, etc etc, tank after tank and have never once ever gotten NEAR that gas mileage (all of them 2003 or newer).

The best mileage I've gotten on my 03 coupe is 410 miles to the tank, and I did that 3 tanks back to back on direct drives (approx 36 hours of near constant driving, babying the gas pedal)

I average 280-320 depending on how heavy my foot is; 50% city, 50% highway (which is most of the time worse than city driving during rush hour)

Planefreak 04-18-2008 03:23 PM

I agree. 600 sounds high but not impossible. I've seen a couple newer accords with 500+ per tank. I have an 86 with an Auto (really want a manual) but the best I've seen is about 28 and the lowest is 22. Some of my trips are about 2 miles and the longest is usually about 30 miles. It averages just under 25 mpg. I can usually pinch almost 400 miles out of my tank at around 25 mpg but that's cuttin it close.

imthehink 04-18-2008 03:46 PM

I get 430-450 city/highway in my 98 coupe.

kahnvict850 04-18-2008 10:36 PM

i am getting around an average of 28-29 in city driving and 32+ on the highway, 96 lx 2.2 5speed 194,444 miles, in your case though, oil getting into the plugs sounds like a vavle cover gasket and making a slight misfire of your spark plug, which would drop you mpg

JimBlake 04-21-2008 11:35 AM

Once during pure interstate driving, got between 40 & 41 mpg with the '03 Accord (4-cyl 5-spd). I was behaving myself & the weather wasnice.Traffic was heavy so I was following a line of trucks - not much acceleration was possible.

The tank is 17 gallons so that's about 680 miles till it's completely sucked dry.

With a coupe it's a bit lighter & maybe less aero drag. I had lots of stuff in the car (moving my daughter) so an empty car would do better.

So... 600 miles on a tank is believable, but not real easy to do all the time in all kinds of weather.

drummer1279 04-23-2008 09:02 AM

I get about 20 mpg city driving and around 25-28 highway thats with 219k. I usually squeak right at 400 miles per tank.

brayner 04-23-2008 04:41 PM

22-23 mostly city. not bad for all the miles on this car. not too good for a 4 cylinder, but she's got plently of kick at 220,000 miles.

PAhonda 04-23-2008 06:13 PM

I have low gas mileage when driving in town, ~200 miles per fillup. I still haven't figured out why my mileage sucks when driving in town. I don't drive aggressively, tire pressure is within spec, etc. I am trying to figure out what is going on, and I will post when I come up with a solution.

When I am on the interstate, I get 400+ on a full tank. When I hit light traffic througout the trip I got 500 miles on one tank.

TexasHonda 04-27-2008 05:26 PM

ORIGINAL: PAhonda

I have low gas mileage when driving in town, ~200 miles per fillup. I still haven't figured out why my mileage sucks when driving in town. I don't drive aggressively, tire pressure is within spec, etc. I am trying to figure out what is going on, and I will post when I come up with a solution.

When I am on the interstate, I get 400+ on a full tank. When I hit light traffic througout the trip I got 500 miles on one tank.
I have read recently of gas theft. You would know since they would have to jimmy the fuel cover to access the fill cap.

Our cars are virtually identical mechanically, except you have MT and I have AT. I get 25-27 mpg around town w/o any special effort. Lately I've been slowing down, watching start/stops, and increased tire pressure to 35, but too early to discern any measurable improvement.

Something must be wrong w/ your Accord; tire misalignment, excessive brake drag, fuel leakage (check fuel injector seals carefully as leakshard to spot, tank crack), fuel pressure regulator, O2 sensor old? Any possibility you're buying 15% ethanol? That would probably reduce mileage by about the same amount. I assume you are in tune and clean air filter?

Is 200 miles per tank for a 10, 12, or 14 gallon fill-up. My fillups average around 12 gallons, somewhere between 1/4 and Empty.

Regards

PAhonda 04-27-2008 05:45 PM

The poor gas mileage is starting to frustrate me.

My fillups are ~13 gallons. The fuel pressure is within spec with FPR connected and disconnected. The tires are only 3 months old, and the car was aligned then. I will check the calipers for dragging. I need to redo my compression test (with the throttle wide open this time).

I am going to monitor the fuel pressure while driving again with the gauge I rigged up. I will set up a new post with some more details. I was thinking about replacing the gaskets in the exhaust system, check for any cracks while I am down there, and take a look at the cat. The bolts on the back of the cat seem pretty rusted, but I should be able to get them off. I will probably have the valves adjusted.

The O2 sensor is new, but I have had a code 43 pop up ocassionally, especially when it is cold. TAS auto said that they would send me a new one under their warranty if my fuel pressure was within spec. I might send the fuel injectors off to get cleaned as well.

TexasHonda 04-27-2008 08:06 PM

At your present gas mileage, the loss is 5 gallons per fillup or $17.50/ fillup, and only about 15 mpg. That's a lot of fuel going somewhere. This suggests a leak or really excessive rich mixture.

An exhaust leak upstream of O2 sensor might cause ECU to supply extra fuel to richen the mixture. This is where OBD2 comes in handy to monitor the fuel trim levels. If your's is doing this you should have a very positive long term fuel trim. Honda service centers or shops specializing in Hondas might be able to determine if fuel is being lost by erroneous O2 sensing.

good luck

finch13 04-28-2008 01:01 AM

Any exhaust leaks after the secondary O2 sensor shouldn't affect your mileage.

Texas, if the ECU was richening up the mixture, wouldn't his car bod down under acceleration somewhat like clogged EGR ports would do?

BTW, I just did my firt mileage calc with my new 6th gen: 33.8 MPG, but I think it's somewhere closer to 32. This is much better compared to the 24 MPG I would get in the 5th gen with the same amount of WOT runs...

finch13 04-28-2008 01:04 AM

Also, when i was going to school in Iowa I would by the 15% ethanol blend (Iowa loves corn, so obviously they dump it into everything) on my 250 mile trips home, I got a lot better gas mileage and performance than the regular 87... I know it goes against everything said about ethanol, but it's true!

tnguyen600 04-28-2008 08:26 AM

my tanks holds about 15 gallons....i get around 220 miles for fill up. wtf.

rhdins 04-28-2008 05:28 PM

I get 22-35 in my 94 Accord LX 4 cyl. I usually get 26.

oneslowaccord 04-28-2008 07:28 PM

i get 30 miles per gallon or 540 full tank/18gallon in the cit maybe 25 or so

PAhonda 04-29-2008 09:17 PM

I'm going to start a new thread on my low mpg. I don't want to hijack this one.

louofm1 04-30-2008 09:24 AM

95 accord ex (automatic)

I get about 24 mpg highway/city. Exclusive highway will yield about 26 mpg.

I too have been trying to figure out how to squeeze more mileage per gallon on my accord. It is due for a tuneup. Definatly use NKG plugs. I was wondering if it was even worth replacing distributor cap/rotor ...does that make a difference?

Ive read that overinflating tires (tojust undermax tire pressure specs) reduces drag ...at the expense of more wear on your tires. However, at current gas prices, it might be worth it.

The best way to improve mileage is to go easy in the gas. As your car goes through gears, make sure it isnt "reving" itself. Allow it to slowly shift from 1st, to 2nd to 3rd. Dont press the pedal too hard, too fast. Reduce weight in your car. Sub boxes may be 40-50 pounds. If you have a stick, you';ll get better mileage. I knew a guy with a 97 accord stick and was always around 30 mpg

TexasHonda 04-30-2008 08:20 PM

I've begun an experiment to improve gas mileage on my 94EX. I inflated tires to 35 and am limitiing rpm during acceleration and cruise to 2000 rpm. This gives around 60 mph in 4th OD and yields modest but acceptable acceleration. I've got about 125 miles on first 1/4 tank. A very good result would be to increase to 28 mpg from about 26 on last tank. I'll post my results next week when I fill up again.

regards

WheelBrokerAng 04-30-2008 08:25 PM

Im sorry folks, I dont know what I get and of course, I dont care what I get..This is not ment to be a smart BUTT answer, but a true one..

WheelBrokerAng ;)

amg2y 02-06-2009 04:16 PM

So what needs to be done to improve gas mileage.
I recently replace cap and rotor with Honda part, but it didn't help much.
I'm still getting about 18 mpg average.
Mine is a 98 Accord EX 4dr with 162k mile, original owner.
Please help.
If I can't figure it out, I may have to sell it.:(
Thanks,

Carebear_ehs89 02-06-2009 05:34 PM

hey guys i got a 2000 2dr with a v6 and by myself in the car i get around 32 or so depending on the wind and my mood while driving. a was making about 150 miles on a 1/4 tank of gas. think i got like a 17 gallon tank. one time i got 28.5 whith 5 (not so small) guys and enough luggage for a weekend trip up north. that was a 340mile round trip and it was only 3/4 of a tank down the whole. the guy driving back didnt use the cruise control. in town is awfull its like 22 or so

MacLeod 02-06-2009 07:47 PM

My beloved and lowly 07 VP gets 33.5 on the freeway (70-75 mph with AC on) and 26-27 around town. I couldnt be happier with it.

Zaphoid 03-17-2009 11:26 PM

My mileage sux also

My mileage sux also! In my 91 SE I'm counting kms traveled, and litres purchased and converting it to mpg. I am horrified to find I'm getting about 15mpg imperial. That less than 12 us. what the crap? i just bought the car, and now i think i should have bought an vigor. or even a legend would get better gas mileage (but it would get your money in the end doing the head gasket). Ha ha honda humor.
That 15 is all in town. Without a vtec motor is this to be excpected for "around town"? I do not have a heavy foot. I have a few minutes of free way in a week, while on the free way at 100kph the tach sits at 2850k. That seems pretty high but i can count through all four gears (auto).
Its been pretty cold, -10c to -30c so that cant be good for mileage, my tires are low for traction, and i havent changed the air filter so how it is i couldn't say, but in these conditions im logging probably not even 300kms per tank. Can this be normal? besides air filter, (spark pluggs look ok) what would be the next thing to look at? Thanks for your interest. sorry if i'm trying to hijack this thread, im not super with computers.

JimBlake 03-18-2009 08:13 AM

(km) / (liters) * 2.3161
This gives you miles per US gallon.
Are you converting correctly?

Zaphoid 03-18-2009 08:25 AM

i recently drove 218kms on 43 litres of gas.I entered those figures into an online fuel mileage calculator, and it turned out these results.
US Gallons 11.99 MPG Imperial Gallons 14.32 MPG Thank you for your consideration.

JimBlake 03-18-2009 08:39 AM

Wow, that's low MPG. Sorry, I just had to rule out the easy mistakes.

Check for leaking fuel lines under the floorpan of the car? I've seen them corrode so the fuel soaks out like a sponge but not a very big catastrophic leak. Wintertime it's easier to miss the smell of leaking fuel.

Leaking fuel tank will leak even when the car is parked, so you would notice that, right?

Leaking FPR causing it to run very rich? Check the vacuum hose from the FPR - there should not be any fuel in there.

Peter Lawrence 03-19-2009 09:06 AM

Fuel Consumption

I drive a 2002 Accord 2.3 TypeV Manual. It loves a drink! I recently covered 250 miles on hilly Scottish roads and I only used 1/2 a tank. I was very pleased as I expected it to use more. The fuel was a mix of Shell VPower and cheap supermarket fuel.

Take a look at the 107 tips for fuel saving by google searching Hypermiling. Some of the tips are practical some are just plain silly and dangerous...

I rarely use the brakes. Braking = heat + brake dust.

finch13 03-19-2009 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Peter Lawrence (Post 161548)
I rarely use the brakes. Braking = heat + brake dust.

Brakes are a lot easier and cheaper to replace than wearing out the clutch and synchros by downshifting without rev-matching.

Zaphoid 03-19-2009 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 161334)
Wow, that's low MPG. Sorry, I just had to rule out the easy mistakes.

Check for leaking fuel lines under the floorpan of the car? I've seen them corrode so the fuel soaks out like a sponge but not a very big catastrophic leak. Wintertime it's easier to miss the smell of leaking fuel.

Leaking fuel tank will leak even when the car is parked, so you would notice that, right?

Leaking FPR causing it to run very rich? Check the vacuum hose from the FPR - there should not be any fuel in there.

FPR-is that Fuel Pressure Regulator?
My car seems to run fine, I can't really complain about performance. would running rich foul the plugs? (they're fine)
I'm not super mechanical, but I know how to turn a wrech. It took me about a week of cussing and fiddling under the hood to deduce my dead accord needed a new coil. I did not smell gas any other time that when I did the fuel pressure release procedure.

JimBlake 03-19-2009 04:25 PM

I expect a ruptured FPR (fuel pressure regulator) would cause it to run badly & foul the plugs.

When I had corroded fuel lines in my 95 Integra, it was wintertime & there was not much smell. Only leaked when it was pressurized, & that was while driving. So the guy behind me may have smelled it.

Your brakes would have to drag pretty badly, so they would overheat & smell. And you'd probably notice the drag when driving very slowly. But you may as well check for that. Drive very slow & shift to neutral - allow it to coast to a stop. Dragging brakes are most noticable during the last couple inches before it stops.

Zaphoid 03-19-2009 07:13 PM

Would leaking fuel then be visible from the bottom of the car? I just had it inspected in January when i bought it, and the mech. said the bottom of the car was super clean. or where would i look for leaking fuel? no puddles...