General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my gas mileage sucks, whats your mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:47 PM

My beloved and lowly 07 VP gets 33.5 on the freeway (70-75 mph with AC on) and 26-27 around town. I couldnt be happier with it.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default My mileage sux also

My mileage sux also! In my 91 SE I'm counting kms traveled, and litres purchased and converting it to mpg. I am horrified to find I'm getting about 15mpg imperial. That less than 12 us. what the crap? i just bought the car, and now i think i should have bought an vigor. or even a legend would get better gas mileage (but it would get your money in the end doing the head gasket). Ha ha honda humor.
That 15 is all in town. Without a vtec motor is this to be excpected for "around town"? I do not have a heavy foot. I have a few minutes of free way in a week, while on the free way at 100kph the tach sits at 2850k. That seems pretty high but i can count through all four gears (auto).
Its been pretty cold, -10c to -30c so that cant be good for mileage, my tires are low for traction, and i havent changed the air filter so how it is i couldn't say, but in these conditions im logging probably not even 300kms per tank. Can this be normal? besides air filter, (spark pluggs look ok) what would be the next thing to look at? Thanks for your interest. sorry if i'm trying to hijack this thread, im not super with computers.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

(km) / (liters) * 2.3161
This gives you miles per US gallon.
Are you converting correctly?

Old 03-18-2009, 08:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies

i recently drove 218kms on 43 litres of gas.I entered those figures into an online fuel mileage calculator, and it turned out these results.
US Gallons 11.99 MPG Imperial Gallons 14.32 MPG Thank you for your consideration.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, that's low MPG. Sorry, I just had to rule out the easy mistakes.

Check for leaking fuel lines under the floorpan of the car? I've seen them corrode so the fuel soaks out like a sponge but not a very big catastrophic leak. Wintertime it's easier to miss the smell of leaking fuel.

Leaking fuel tank will leak even when the car is parked, so you would notice that, right?

Leaking FPR causing it to run very rich? Check the vacuum hose from the FPR - there should not be any fuel in there.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:06 AM
Default Fuel Consumption

I drive a 2002 Accord 2.3 TypeV Manual. It loves a drink! I recently covered 250 miles on hilly Scottish roads and I only used 1/2 a tank. I was very pleased as I expected it to use more. The fuel was a mix of Shell VPower and cheap supermarket fuel.

Take a look at the 107 tips for fuel saving by google searching Hypermiling. Some of the tips are practical some are just plain silly and dangerous...

I rarely use the brakes. Braking = heat + brake dust.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Peter Lawrence
I rarely use the brakes. Braking = heat + brake dust.
Brakes are a lot easier and cheaper to replace than wearing out the clutch and synchros by downshifting without rev-matching.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Wow, that's low MPG. Sorry, I just had to rule out the easy mistakes.

Check for leaking fuel lines under the floorpan of the car? I've seen them corrode so the fuel soaks out like a sponge but not a very big catastrophic leak. Wintertime it's easier to miss the smell of leaking fuel.

Leaking fuel tank will leak even when the car is parked, so you would notice that, right?

Leaking FPR causing it to run very rich? Check the vacuum hose from the FPR - there should not be any fuel in there.
FPR-is that Fuel Pressure Regulator?
My car seems to run fine, I can't really complain about performance. would running rich foul the plugs? (they're fine)
I'm not super mechanical, but I know how to turn a wrech. It took me about a week of cussing and fiddling under the hood to deduce my dead accord needed a new coil. I did not smell gas any other time that when I did the fuel pressure release procedure.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

I expect a ruptured FPR (fuel pressure regulator) would cause it to run badly & foul the plugs.

When I had corroded fuel lines in my 95 Integra, it was wintertime & there was not much smell. Only leaked when it was pressurized, & that was while driving. So the guy behind me may have smelled it.

Your brakes would have to drag pretty badly, so they would overheat & smell. And you'd probably notice the drag when driving very slowly. But you may as well check for that. Drive very slow & shift to neutral - allow it to coast to a stop. Dragging brakes are most noticable during the last couple inches before it stops.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Would leaking fuel then be visible from the bottom of the car? I just had it inspected in January when i bought it, and the mech. said the bottom of the car was super clean. or where would i look for leaking fuel? no puddles...

Quick Reply: my gas mileage sucks, whats your mpg?