General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my honda wont start when engine cools down

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies

i am having a problem along those lines with my 91 accord ex...rough starting after sitting for a few hours. meaning it turns over for about 20 seconds and then trys to start but hesitates and coughs and sneezes. once it starts it sometimes shuts off right away. once i do get it running she runs like a champ. i did replace the fuel filter, plugs and cleaned the cap and rotor since they were not in bad shape. how ever i did put new wires and cap and rotor 20k ago. the problem seems to be with the fuel. i believe i am losing pressure after sitting for an hour or two so i think my next step is replacing the relay. any other ideas would be appreciated! i will keep updating as this will hopefully help!

Old 05-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

What happens if you turn the key to ON & pause there for 2 seconds while the pump runs? Then start.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i just went out and tried it. i turned the key a listened for the relay to click and the pump to come on and all i heard was the power seat belts and the radio antena. turned all that off and tried again. i did hear the relay click and the pump run, once that stopped i tried to start and presto! no prob! but why did this start happening. i never had to wait for the pump to do its thing?? is this a sign of a tired fuel pump? there is almost 230k on the car and as far as i know its all original.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Im A Hustla
Unregistered
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JimBlake
What happens if you turn the key to ON & pause there for 2 seconds while the pump runs? Then start.

well i tried it, maybe not 2 seconds more like 5, and the car started but it was'nt throttling smoothly at first(kinda of a bucking feeling like a lack of fuel...im assuming) for like 3 seconds and then it runs like normal.

thanks for the advice

but what would this mean? is it the fuel pump or what exactly??

thanks again

Old 05-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

If the fuelpump check valve leaks back, then the rail loses pressure.

When you turn the key ON, the pump only runs for about 2 seconds. If you wait 2 more seconds after it turns off, that gives the fuel time to leak back down.

I think that check valve is built into the pump. So if that's it, you get a new pump.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:47 PM
gthbryce
Unregistered

If you press the accelerator and this helps it start, that means your engine is flooded. When you press on the accelerator it stops the injectors from pumping.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gthbryce
If you press the accelerator and this helps it start, that means your engine is flooded. When you press on the accelerator it stops the injectors from pumping.
Only if you press it all the way to the floor. But sure, try that to see if it gets the engine to start.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Im A Hustla
Unregistered

i can now just turn the ignition on, leave to sit til the gauges start to set to correct reading then start the car but still with a little gas from the pedal, can anyone say what is happening. mechanics here are a joke honestly

Old 07-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Newest Of Newbies

91 honda accord 232k. i replaced the main fuel relay thinking this was def. the problem. well it didnt fix the issue. i noticed that i have to turn the key and keep cranking until the engine light comes on and then the car will start. then when i drive away the car engine bucks at 3200rpms like its hitting the rev limiter. if i shut the car off and restart it, the problem clears and drives well with out the engine light on. a few miles down the road the engine light may come on but the rev limiter problem at 3200rpms does not return. everything is good. i have to do this procedure everytime i want to drive. please help.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Hustla, it still may be that the check valve (in the fuel pump) leaks down. If so, the best thing is probably turn the key ON & wait ONLY for the pump to run for 2 seconds. Start the engine without waiting any additional time.

Oneroom, you should probably jumper the SCS connector & read the CEL error code(s). That might give us a hint of what to look for.

Quick Reply: my honda wont start when engine cools down