General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Is it my tranny?

Old 10-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Default Is it my tranny?

I have a 2000 Accord EX V6 Auto and when I am going 50-60 mph around 2000 rpm, my cars feels like it hesitates when in overdrive. It almost feels like driving a standard and being in a higher gear than you should be. I've taken it to two different dealership several times and they give me the run around telling me that there isn't a code - nothing wrong with the car. I've had the EGR replaced (under warranty). It doesn't seem right to me because it does it mainly when trying to pull a hill. I can give it just enough gas to change the gear and it's okay. When I'm driving in D3 the car is wonderful- no problems, it seems to have something to do with overdrive. I was told about the tranny extended warranty on my year and I don't know if the dealership just thinks I'm trying to get a new tranny but I am so mad. Just bought the car 1 year ago with 96,000 miles on it - it now has 118,500 on it. Any idea what could be wrong? I'm worried I'll replacing the tranny while still paying on the car.

Thank you!!

Old 10-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Default RE: Is it my tranny?

this seems to be a recurring theme, as far as I can see. I have a 92 accord LX and mine has 186,400 miles...the transmission does the same thing, I drive in D4 at Highway speed and it doesnt want to stay in overdrive...and yes mine will also kick into over drive going up hills then kick back down when the road levels out. sweetie I have no clue whent the problem is but just thought Id let ya know that you arent the only one with transmission goofs.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:31 PM

That makes me feel better that you have got over 186,000 miles and it is still okay. Does it seem to be getting worse with the miles? The dealership done a tranny flush for me but that didn't work. The dealership tells me that since it doesn't produce a "code" then it's fine saying that these cars are so "smart" that if anything was wrong it would show. I almost feel like they don't believe me but I have been there enough and got it documented so hopefully if anything happens they'll be responsible. I love my car and it's sweet, I just want to be one of the owners that get 300,000+ miles out of it.

Kim

Old 10-04-2006, 07:43 PM

its not gotten any worse but not really better either...I keep the fluid changed about every 20,000 miles with Honda Z-1 tranny fluid and it seems to be ok other than that one thing. I was thinking of changing out my shift solneoids, but was going to ask Desert's opinion on it before I went and plunked down $160 on shift solneoids.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:06 PM

I don't know if this really pertains to you guys' specefic problem but it might give you some insight.
Don't kill the messenger
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_27488/tm.htm

Old 10-05-2006, 12:38 PM

My car doesn't shift hard and will "get up and go" just has problems when in overdrive. How often should I get a transmission service done and which service(s) is most benefical? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Old 10-05-2006, 07:46 PM

If you are hitting the gas at 2000 rpms, you wont have much get up and go. Im not auto tranny expert, but overdrive is meant to be a cruising gear. Its going to change to d3 automatically for you when you need to go up a hill. Its the exact same thing as being in 5th trying to go up a hill, you have to shift to 4th.

Leaving the car in D3 means you are cutting out the overdrive, therefore keeping the tranny in the gear the car would shift to anyway, causing you to feel no hesitation/sluggish problems.

Maybe im misunderstanding what you are saying, but if not, dont worry! The overdrive shouldnt have any *****.

Jeff

Old 10-05-2006, 11:17 PM

no what she is saying is that she can be driving at highway speed and pretty much the tranny hops back and forth between high gear and overdrive regardless of elevation change or how hard she plants the gas. mine does the same thing and ironically enough it will actually shift into overdrive going up hill then kick back down when it levels out.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:37 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Honda had issues with 2000-2001 trannies,, give your local dealer a callHonda might help you out on parts and or labor if it does need a tranny

Old 10-06-2006, 02:39 AM

sigh...my 99 4 cyl auto is doing the same thing. a remanufactured is about 2100 with a 1 year warranty = (
unfortunately my year does not have a recall. oh wells.

good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it my tranny?