General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mysterious Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:53 PM
manah
Unregistered
Default Mysterious Squeaking

Car: 1992 Honda Accord EX 2.2L 4cyl automatic

I made a topic awhile back about a mysterious scratching/squeaking type sound when it was like 10 degrees out at 60 mph. Anyways, when I got home tonight, I heard the same sound when I put the car in park. I opened the hood and the sound is coming from a belt attached to..well...I don'tknowexactly what it is, but it's above the alternator and next tothe power steering fluid tank. It's a brand new belt so I really didn't understand what was making the sound. Isprayed some WD40 onthe belt and pulley (or whatever) it'swrapped aroundand it stopped for the moment. I haven't heard the sound for a few minutes in idle.So...two questions.

1. What is that thing?

2. Do you think that WD40 will be enough or could it be something else?

Thank you

Old 01-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Default RE: Mysterious Squeaking

above the alternator = power steering pump. the belt may be a few things: loose and aftermarket. either try and tighten it or replace it with a honda belt and properly tension it. wd-40 should not be used on any belt - but as a diagnostic tool to identify belt noise, perhaps.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:15 PM
manah
Unregistered

Do you think it's the pump itself? When I hit about 50mph, it's more of a scratching sound..not a high pitched scream and it's not consistent. What's been happening lately is when I finish going wherever I'm going and I put it in park, I hear the same sound and it IS constant and consistent. It's really odd.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

If the problem was in the pump itself, I don't think that WD-40 on the belt would have made any difference.

Since you've already put that stuff on the belt, I'd get a new belt (and clean that stuff off the pulleys). They get hard & slippery when old. Then people are tempted to over-tighten them. Then they start asking about noisy bearings...

Old 01-13-2008, 10:28 PM
manah
Unregistered

I didn't actually WD40 it on the belt itself...it was the pully/bearing. Some may have gotten on the belt, however. I know better than to put any crap like on any belt.And I prob figure it isn't the pump because if it was....parking would definitely be a chore...

Old 01-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

If the squeaking noise is from the belt slipping, then try spraying water directly on the belt. If that makes it quiet for a few moments, then you'll know the noise is froma slipping belt. The water won't stay long, & won't damage the belt.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:27 PM
manah
Unregistered

It's just weird cause when I start it, no sound at all. Then it comes when I hit 60mph and when I put it in park again after.

And...where are the bolts to tighten it and what size are they (if any of you know off the top of your heads)?

Old 01-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I think bolts are 10mm and 12mm socket/wrench sizes.

Check carefully that the bolt that passes through the slot that allows belt tension adjustment is not completely against upper end of slot. I recently had this occur on my 94EX and belt was squealing. Belt may have been stretched slightly, but the "specification length belt" was too long, so I bought a 1-inch undersized belt to have some adjustment range available. With that undersized belt, there was just enough slack adjustment to allow reasonably easy belt installation. Even here there was not a lot of slot left for adjusting belt tightness.

good luck

Old 01-14-2008, 09:05 PM

http://www.verzend.be/v/406225/1_CR9701S11171A.pdf.html

loosen the upper and lower ps pump bolts and turn the adjusting bolt.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:55 PM
manah
Unregistered

Okay, I'm pretty sure the belt is good, now. It isn't squealing anymore. Thanks for the help.

One more quick thing: another potential cause of that scratching noise I hear is the plastic from under the front of the car. I hit a raccoon not too long ago and it messed all that up and there's a piece of it in hangingfront of the front driver side tire....and it touches the ground. This may be a stupid question...but are there any negative effects of me completely getting rid of that piece? I mean, sure, I can think of things, but I don't know if they'd be likely to happen....

Quick Reply: Mysterious Squeaking