General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mystery starting problem - Honda Accord 2003

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:15 AM
swayzak
Unregistered
Default Mystery starting problem - Honda Accord 2003

hi

Over the past 4 weeks our (UK) Accord has lost battery charge e.g. not been able to start.

First time was after a 5 mile drive, with heating / heated seat on - pulled up outside my work to pick me up. Stopped the car for a few minutes, when we were all in the car tried to start .... starter motor turned vaguely for a few secs then nothing.

Called roadside assistance - they charged battery & it was fine. He said there was nothing wrong with the battery.

Then a few weeks later, I took the car one morning to a handwash carwash. H
Turned the engine off a few times to stop at each "station".

On the 4th restart - same thing. Fortunately managed to bump start it.

Then yesterday, my partner drove it for about 5 miles (deliberately without fans / heating on) & stopped. She then returned and had the ignition electrics on for about 1 minute as she got the electric windows down & loaded the car.

Realising she had left the ignition in this state, she turned it off.

Then after a few minutes show got back in & tried to start - same thing.

Managed to get a jump start from a garage across the road - and got roadside assistance to take car to our Honda garage.

They can't find anything wrong with it : battery, alternator etc. Have run tests, all negative.

I've decided to change the battery whilst it's there (even though it's probably unnecessary) so we can definitely eliminate that as a problem.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong here ?

We have 2 small children & can't run the risk of this happening regularly !

thanks

swayzak

Old 02-12-2008, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Mystery starting problem - Honda Accord 2003

It sounds like the battery, but they've done the tests & it checked out OK?? I hope they checked for loose or corroded connections at the battery cables (both ends)?

Old 02-12-2008, 07:48 AM
swayzak
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

It sounds like the battery, but they've done the tests & it checked out OK?? I hope they checked for loose or corroded connections at the battery cables (both ends)?
Thanks - yes & yes.

I'm just praying that it's something to do with the battery (even though their test says it's good).

Otherwise what option is left for an untraceable fault like this ? If they can't find anything wrong then replacing the car is the only solution presumably

Old 02-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If it always starts easily w/ a jumper boost and battery connections are clean/tight, it has to be either a weak battery or alternator allowing battery to gradually discharge.

I would suggest getting a "Innova Battery and Charge System Monitor" to stick in the cigarette lighter outlet. In US they are available at Walmart fo $15. They provide continuous indication of voltage output. If voltage drops below 12.5 V, it's generally discharging and battery will eventually get weak and fail to start. See following ebay link for an example. I have two of these and stick them in a car to check alternator performance periodically. Great tool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Innov...spagenameZWDVW

good luck

Old 02-12-2008, 12:44 PM
swayzak
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: TexasHonda

If it always starts easily w/ a jumper boost and battery connections are clean/tight, it has to be either a weak battery or alternator allowing battery to gradually discharge.

I would suggest getting a "Innova Battery and Charge System Monitor" to stick in the cigarette lighter outlet. In US they are available at Walmart fo $15. They provide continuous indication of voltage output. If voltage drops below 12.5 V, it's generally discharging and battery will eventually get weak and fail to start. See following ebay link for an example. I have two of these and stick them in a car to check alternator performance periodically. Great tool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Innov...spagenameZWDVW

good luck
Thanks for that, will see if I can get equivalent in UK !

They have tested the alternator & say it's fine.

New battery fitted this morning - been OK so far. Will keep my fingers crossed ...

Incidently, would it be possible forthe battery to be at fault here, but not detectable as faulty by the garage test(s) ? This is obviously what I'm hoping for !

Old 02-12-2008, 12:47 PM

If getting a jump is fixing your problem i would say it would have to be your alternator or battery
-i had a friend with a cavalier(POS car) who had a similar problem, his battery post actually came off the battery when he tried jumping it once

Old 02-12-2008, 12:48 PM
chuckdragon
Unregistered

IS YOUR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON??
if so take it Autozone and get the CODE and post it

(in order from cheap to expensive (also some is from most likely to least))

Well it's obvious that you have checked the battery and changed it. Guess this means the connections are not corroded. GEEZ wonder where you have heard that before. LOL.

THIS POST IS Assuming that "don't start" means that it is not turning over at all! (or maybe even barely rolling over)

If your lights or radio or interior lights or fan on the engine and the fan inside the car, for heat and air conditioning haven't been staying on. (this is very important to make sure of. if this is happening and you are not deliberately doing it then you have a major short in your electrical system and I don't know how to fix it so I Would have to take it to a garage with a full explanation of which ones are on.)

OK the next step is to check that the wires too the STARTER are in good working condition. (cheap fix).

If that doesn't do the trick I bad wire going to the spark plugs maybe or a bad cap and rotor. PLease change these before going any further this is as cheap as it gets everything from here on out is expensive. CHANGE CAP ROTOR WIRES PLUGS. Not sure if your car has a cap and rotor but it's the next step any whoo.

I know you said you took it to a garage and had the battery changed and that they checked the alternator. I have to tell you though I had an old SAAB inline four cylinder that had a problem like yours. I would check the alternator and it said fine. But every once in a while I would find a dead battery. Come to find out do to the constructrion of an alternater (though rare) they can work sometimes and sometimes not. I guess what I'm saying is if you have done the steps above I would next change the alternator. ouch pocketbook doesn't feel good right now.

Next if that hasn't fixed it (this really starts to hurt the old pocket book) Having the coil changed could fix your problem.

LEMME KNOW IF THIS WORKS IF NOT EMAIL ME AND I WILL CONTINUE GOOD LUCK [8D]

Old 02-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Possible, but another likely thing is cables & connections. They oftenget bypassed when someone checks the battery. And they often get cleaned & tightened when they install the new battery.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:49 PM
chuckdragon
Unregistered

OH YEAH TRY TO GET YOUR HANDS ON A "HAYNES MANUAL" and I forget you are in the UK not sure if there is an AUTOZONE There.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:00 PM
swayzak
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: chuckdragon

IS YOUR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON??
if so take it Autozone and get the CODE and post it

(in order from cheap to expensive (also some is from most likely to least))

Well it's obvious that you have checked the battery and changed it. Guess this means the connections are not corroded. GEEZ wonder where you have heard that before. LOL.

THIS POST IS Assuming that "don't start" means that it is not turning over at all! (or maybe even barely rolling over)

If your lights or radio or interior lights or fan on the engine and the fan inside the car, for heat and air conditioning haven't been staying on. (this is very important to make sure of. if this is happening and you are not deliberately doing it then you have a major short in your electrical system and I don't know how to fix it so I Would have to take it to a garage with a full explanation of which ones are on.)

OK the next step is to check that the wires too the STARTER are in good working condition. (cheap fix).

If that doesn't do the trick I bad wire going to the spark plugs maybe or a bad cap and rotor. PLease change these before going any further this is as cheap as it gets everything from here on out is expensive. CHANGE CAP ROTOR WIRES PLUGS. Not sure if your car has a cap and rotor but it's the next step any whoo.

I know you said you took it to a garage and had the battery changed and that they checked the alternator. I have to tell you though I had an old SAAB inline four cylinder that had a problem like yours. I would check the alternator and it said fine. But every once in a while I would find a dead battery. Come to find out do to the constructrion of an alternater (though rare) they can work sometimes and sometimes not. I guess what I'm saying is if you have done the steps above I would next change the alternator. ouch pocketbook doesn't feel good right now.

Next if that hasn't fixed it (this really starts to hurt the old pocket book) Having the coil changed could fix your problem.

LEMME KNOW IF THIS WORKS IF NOT EMAIL ME AND I WILL CONTINUE GOOD LUCK [8D]
Wow - thanks. A lot of info there !

All electrical things in the car work fine.

When the "no start" occurs, I get ignition lights ... and just a very pathetic starter motor sound, as though it's trying to start but is not getting enough power from the battery.

Quick Reply: Mystery starting problem - Honda Accord 2003