General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mythical O.B.D. CONNECTION

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Default mythical O.B.D. CONNECTION

HELP!!!!!

I bought a used 1994 accord 4 door as a work car not looking for anything special
just a get me there get me back kind of thing. Now when I bought the car I was
jipped,fooled,bamboozled, how ever you want to say it. The car has what I think
Is a1996 engine in it andI think I have a salvage title beacause mine only says 1994
honda.... Not 1994 honda accord the check engine light was on when I bought it
and the seller told me It could be any one of twenty things he had put 10,000
miles on it and not to worry.He said just give it a tune up.Big dummy me I took his
word. Now after doing plugs,wires,oil,ect. I still have the check engine light on
so my neighbor tells me just hook up a code reader and that will tell you what Is wrong
the only problem is I cant find a place or the right code reader/scanner/whatever.
Even if I did, I looked over the fuse box on driverside,behind the ashtray center counsel,
and all over the passenger side for something that looked like I could plug into it. I see
nothing. The car cant run without the O.B.D. can it????

thanks for any Ideas or help
dieman

Old 04-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: mythical O.B.D. CONNECTION

well, OBD-II wasn't mandatory until 1996 (while being invented over a decade before said year)... your car might NOT have one...

Old 04-11-2008, 02:42 PM

from all the fishing I have done on this site and great links they sent me to
I have concluded that there is some way of checking this out. According to
one site they have been putting diagnostic type systems in honda for twenty
years. With a 1994/1996 I should be in????

Old 04-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

The 96 accords had obdII, but the 94/95 are obdI. Are you certain that it has a 96 engine?

Go to this site http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/ and click on how to check the CEL. Accords from 90 through 97 have this blue plug. Older accords may have it too. All you need is a thin paperclip to check the code. Post that code on here and we will be able to help.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:11 PM

If the engine is a 96, I would think the ECU would have to now be OBDII. but as was said before, if it is actually a 94 model car, it would be OBDI.
Can you check the engine code? The engine code stamp is located to the right of the exhaust manifold on the engine. that should at least tell us if it is a 96 engine (if the 96 had a different engine code - hmmm I'm not sure if it did or not.)

Old 04-11-2008, 03:32 PM

To----pahonda
Excellent link but it did not work for me. When I turned the ignition to "2"
all I recieved was that braring yellow check engine light. No blinks, No codes
to decifer,Nothing.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:53 PM

I think I have an engine code---B5810086 that make any sense????
it doesnt to me. I am going out to look again,but before I do I did
get the VIN#jhmcd5638rc118467 Is that even a 1994 body????

ANY HELP!!!! HELP HELP HELP

Old 04-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

The VIN that you posted says the car is a 94 4-door sedan, auto tranny, LX, made in Japan.

The engine number is stamped above where the front motor mount bracket bolts to the engine block. It should be an F22B2 engine.

If you got to that site I posted before, the pdfs on the bottom are a shop manual for a 94 accord. The general information pdf has all of this information about code locations, etc.

As for the check engine light. I am not sure what modifications were done to the car. You might want to find the ECU number on the sticker and post that on here. The 94 accord should be something like 37820-POB-A51. I am not sure what engine/ECU setup is in your accord.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:11 AM

If i'm not mistaken, you can use a 96-97 engine in a 94-95 utilizing the 94-95 engine harness. I'm going to guess that you still have all the obd-I electrical stuff in this car, and you should still have the blue plug under the glovebox (if i remember correctly, i'm messed with so many my memory may be mixed up).

you should really buy a book on the car, dare i say a haynes manual at the local parts store. not the best document in the world, but it will show you how to read the CEL codes.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If the OBDII port is not under the dash near the driver's left knee, in the ash tray, or in the rear ash tray it's probably OBDI. Check under the passenger side dash for 2 blue connectors plugged into a blue "holder". If you unplug the smaller connector (with 2 wires) and bend a paper clip to connect those two wires you can read the codes when you turn the ignition to ON/II. Short blinks are 1 - 9 and a long blink is a 10 + whatever short flashes follow.

Quick Reply: mythical O.B.D. CONNECTION