General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Naturally it's an ABS issue.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Question Naturally it's an ABS issue.

So, I bought myself a nice black 94 Honda Accord EX 2.2L V-Tec 5 Speed manual yesterday knowing full well that the ABS light was on and that it has an OVERLY soft brake pedal. The "miniature dealer" said they bled both the ABS and brake system, they also replaced the front pads. They told me that the car had the issue prior to them replacing the pads.

I am thinking, but am not positive if I replace the master cylinder if the brake pedal will have pressure again. The car does stop, but the pedal darn near hits the floor!

Now that you know my issue, here is my questions:
1.) Where is the plug for ABS unit trouble codes?
2.) How can I get the codes without having a scanner?
3.) Can I just bypass the ABS pump/unit all together and run the lines from the master cylinder directly to the calipers?
4.) (New Jersey members) Will they fail me for ABS light being on at inspection?
5.) If I do pull the codes, will any one be able to refer me to a site or be able to tell me the codes if I post them?

I don't care if the ABS works or not... The parking brake works, just need the pedal not to hit the floor every time I want to stop. Really scared driving it. I mean, chances are if someone dead stops in front of me, I am going to ram them for sure!

Old 05-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

1. It is the same service connector for the CEL, TCU codes, under the glove box. In the DIY section there are some write ups describing how to do this.
2. Use a paperclip or piece of wire, see #1
3. Alot of work without knowing the answer to #1. Yes it can be removed and the lines re-worked, but not "directly" to the calipers.
4. I'm in NC so can't help
5. In the same DIY section there is a listing of the codes....or post them up and someone will help.

Does sound like the brake master could be causing the soft pedal, IF you are positive the system was bled properly.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I am not 100% sure, I don't really trust the guys I bought it from as I found some other issues they attempted to cover up. I am a tow truck driver so I haven't found the time to actually get the car apart to figure it out. They did say the soft pedal was an issue with the vehicle prior to selling it to me though.. Thank you much for your assistance.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:56 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Did you buy the car from a used car dealer ??? if so,,i did not think that a used car dealer can sell cars with a faulty safety issue ( abs,,srs,) etc etc
does the brake pedal sinks while you are at a stop ?? if so ,,
you have brake master cylinder issue,, and if so, replace it with a Honda or an Adler brand

also get the ABS code and post it here

Old 06-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well, yes, I did purchase it from a dealer... Small dealer... Harrison Auto Sales Elmer, NJ.

The pedal does not sink when I am stopped. It stays tight. Also, when the vehicle is not running, I can pump the brakes and it will hold pressure untill the car starts. The ABS light doesn't come on right away, usually when I start moving, which suggests a bad sensor. The car was sold AS-IS... They ***holes hid a lot of stuff that is slowly uncovering itself.

Ughhhhh

Like I said, this car has been a sever nightmare since I bought it. Only benefit is that I am a tow truck driver so I can get it towed free.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

I did a writeup in the DIY section on how to check CEL codes. Short that connector and count the abs light to get the abs codes. Also get any ECU codes.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:19 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Okay. So I did the code thing, and did get the check engine light to come on. As I mentioned in another post I pulled two codes from the CEL...

22 - VTEC Solenoid
43 - Fuel System Deliver.

However, I was unable to get the ABS light to give me any codes.

Yesterday I did change my front pads and found that the slider pins had extreme rust on them. So I cleaned the rust off and greased them up. Since then I have had a fairly firm pedal and a great amount of stopping power! Awesome!

Any suggestions on where to start with code number "43"?

Old 06-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Code 43 usually is O2 sensor performance issue. There is a 94-97 Accord Manual you can download from Online Manuals links in DIY forum for diagnostics.

Did ABS light not blink when you shorted the service check connector, or other problem. The blinks are different, all short blinks(f) w/ short pause (p) between 1st and 2nd digit; so 4-4 is ffff-p-ffff. A long pause 2-3 secs separates multiple codes, or repeat of same code. Also there is a single long flash (2-3 secs) to indicate the ABS light is working.

good luck

Old 06-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I am familiar with jumping the connector as I have done it in previous vehicles I owned. However, the ABS light didn't do anything, only the CEL... Is there another plug for it?

Old 06-28-2011, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

In the Common DIY Index thread in this forum, I have a link to Online manuals where you can download a 94.

In the ABS troubleshooting, it says the ABS light can turn on, but not give a code. See page 19-70 for the diagnostic tree.

Quick Reply: Naturally it's an ABS issue.