General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ne wignition needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:10 PM
illfaver
Unregistered
Default Ne wignition needed.

Hello, I recently had my 95 Accord LX stolen.... andthen found. Only thing wrong is that the ignition has been dug out, the housing around it seems fine. A couple of questions.....

1. Does anyone know of asite/link that will explain all of the parts in the column. I can fix the basic tumbler assembly portion, but there appear to be a few other things damaged. I can get it started with a pair of needle nose pliers right now, so I dont think those other parts are critical to the cars operation, however I would like to repair it to original condition if its easy and not to pricy.

2. Does anyone have any advice on finding the ignition for cheap. As in a good discount website? Iv found it for $150 new and I also found a guy parting out a car thats selling one for $100. Any info you guys have on this would be great.

Thanks

Old 08-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Default RE: Ne wignition needed.

Advice from me would be don't cheap out on your ignition lock cylinder. You'll regret that $50 you saved the first time your car strands you somewhere and you have to call a hook to get it towed to a shop, or a locksmith.Much of your car's electrical passes through the switch, so a cheap switch may cause you a host of other problems (gremlins in other electrics, your car turning offrandomly, etc.)Some options for finding out more about the column would be to sign up for a site like Alldata DIY for a day or a week or so and get full info there. You can also get a parts list by going to a Honda dealer and asking the parts counterman for the illustration view of the column section, which will list part numbers. You can also have him/her tell you the description of a part number (if you want to know what a certain piece is called.) Last thing would be to drag eBay and pick up a shop manual/service manual for the car. One other thing, if you get a new lock cyl, you will have 2 separate keys, the ign, and one to unlock all the other locks on the car. If you can afford it, take your new lock cylinder to a locksmith or Honda dealer and have them redo the tumblers to work with your old key.

There are critical systems (airbag) and ordinary systems (cruise, wipers, horn) that run through that column, so be careful!
HTH.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:49 PM
illfaver
Unregistered

I am a locksmith. Im looking for advice on cheap ignitions and free online info for the column. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

They (& a few other sites)have parts drawings like this one.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:11 AM
illfaver
Unregistered

Excellent, thanks for the diagram. After a bit of research Iv found that the ignition is mounted with two bolts that need to be drilled out in order to remove(you can also hammer in a grove and remove by screwdriver), as the heads of the bolt are rounded off. This caused a bit of confusion for me. Im actually surprised there isnt more info on the subject considering how ofter Hondas are stolen. Thanks again for the diagram.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: illfaver

... Im actually surprised there isnt more info on the subject considering how ofter Hondas are stolen. Thanks again for the diagram.
Most of ustryto avoidposting instructions on how to steal a honda...

Old 08-30-2007, 09:06 AM

HAHA! I don't think he was referring to us posting instructions on how to steal one, but how to restore our Honda back to "before-stolen" condition since some other members have likely experienced their Hondas being stolen as well.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: illfaver

I am a locksmith. Im looking for advice on cheap ignitions and free online info for the column. Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum. Stick around. Maybe you could help some others with your expertise in the future. Let us know how your repair goes. Good luck!

Old 08-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

HAHA! I don't think he was referring to us posting instructions on how to steal one, ...
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that.AfterI readmy response, I hope you (illfavor) weren't insulted...

But posting too much detail about how to dismantle & disconnect that stuff can help others who have different goals. As a locksmith,you're probably not supposed to tell us how to repair a bank vault door.

In that drawingI posted,#3 are break-off bolts for mounting the lock cylinder to the steeringcolumn. New bolts have a neck underneath the wrench-hex. You're supposed to tighten them untill the hex-heads break off.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:28 AM
illfaver
Unregistered

Not insulted at all, you definatelly have a point. If it makes you feel better about posting the diagram though..... I think mostcrooks just beat on the ignitions with a hammer until they can get it started(they did on my car).

Quick Reply: Ne wignition needed.