General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need '91 power seatbelt schematic

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Default Need '91 power seatbelt schematic

My '91 passenger side powered-seatbelt retractor will not work normally. If I just put power to the motor, it works back and forth normally (but with no end-of-travel power cut).

Every fuse in the car MEASURES good - not just visually.

My cheapie Haynes manual does not cover the power seatbelt wiring, in 15 pages of schematics.

I've seen the free manuals online thread here; I've signed up three times and haven't got a confirmation e-mail to allow me to access them.

It appears the switch attached in the door to the latch mechanism works; that will cut the chime on when you "crack" the door.

I believe that there's a relay somewhere that takes signals from the door latch and the seatbelt track and turns the motor on and off - but where is it?

Thanks!

Old 08-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There are position switches at the forward and rear ends of the shoulder belt travel to stop the shoulder belt travel.

There is an automatic seat belt control unit that would use the door open/close switch as input to enable power to the shoulder belt motor. If that is not happening the fault may be in the control unit.

Have you checked w/ Honda? I seem to remember something about lifetime warranty on these trouble-plagued systems. Worth a check.

good luck

Old 08-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Accord/

That link should allow you to download the 91 manual. That manual isn't well organized and has missing sections, so it may not have the seat belt motor tests or wiring diagrams.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:55 PM

Thanks -

Downloaded all of it, even the supplement, looked at every freakin' PDF first page - hundreds, I'll bet.

Nothing on the dang seatbelts - and I looked at every page of every wiring diagram in Section 16, nada.

It's like they're covering their shame.

Forrest

Old 08-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Helm Inc. has shop manual available for $29-$48. This is not bad and will pay for itself w/ your completed repair.

good luck

Old 08-13-2011, 12:08 AM

I also thought seat belts were covered under a Lifetime warranty, which is the main reason car companies stopped making the automatic seat belts (they didn't want the added cost of fixing automatic belts).

Old 08-13-2011, 12:44 AM
Administrator

Did you ask Honda about your problem?
What did they tell you?

Old 08-13-2011, 08:25 AM

I will contact my local Honda dealer Monday - it's right near where I work.

SeatbeltsUSA has fairly nice manual replacement set in the right color, but I'd like to keep the '90s weirdness.

Looks like I should get that Helm manual.

Forrest

Old 08-13-2011, 09:03 AM

Just ordered the Helm service manual and electrical troubleshooting manual - that'll be useful as the electrical system undergoes major revison with the electric conversion.

Forrest

Old 08-25-2011, 03:33 PM

Hey - great news and a vote of thanks to Conyers Honda in GA. I called; they said, "sure - that seatbelt's covered under lifetime warranty, bring it by."

I did this AM; they found that the seatbelt control module was bad; ordered a new one, and will put it in Monday AM. All free, on a 21-year-old car bought in another state, and just brought to them as a drive-in.

Forrest

Quick Reply: Need '91 power seatbelt schematic