General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need ac help

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I could not get the photo site to work correctly. I found the photos but my browser would hang when I tried to scroll through them. I could not see the numbers you referenced except in the thumbnail views when I held cursor over them.

If evaporator has never been removed, it likely needs cleaning and orings on expansion valve and thermo bulb replaced. They dry/harden w/ age and dissimilar metals corrosion sets up between brass expansion valve and aluminum tubing of evaporator. I would start there and replace expansion valve.

In my experience the Honda compressors are very reliable. I only had one develop a shaft seal leak (look for ring of oil/dirt around clutch rotation plane). If you see oil/dirt ring, the shaft seal is leaking and compressor should probably be replaced also. I've found used compressors to be the best value; check ebay and car-part.com for local parts near you.

I would also replace receiver/drier and flush system when evaporator is removed. I use laquer thinner and air pressurise to pop-release clean condensor and hoses.

I overhauled AC about 5 yrs ago on my 94 EX and it's still cooling well.

good luck

Old 11-04-2012, 06:11 PM

looks like it's letting me attach pics here now so i will

Attached Thumbnails need ac help-imag0007.jpg   need ac help-imag0008.jpg   need ac help-imag0009.jpg   need ac help-imag0010.jpg   need ac help-imag0011.jpg  

Old 11-04-2012, 06:12 PM

next up

Attached Thumbnails need ac help-imag0012.jpg   need ac help-imag0013.jpg   need ac help-imag0014.jpg   need ac help-imag0015.jpg   need ac help-imag0016.jpg  

Old 11-04-2012, 06:13 PM

here are next pics.

ignore that last pics lol that was my BAR sticker.

I just need to be sure that I don't need to replace my compressor, like I said it blows ice cold and the compressor turns on at the end when it's not blowing cold. I believe it to be an expansion valve issue as you said and I can replace that. I have the tools and the flare wrench and had already replaced my dryer like I said before just before the last recharge. I can do that work but need to know that I don't have to shell out the money for a new compressor. I also have an o-ring kit. I will replace all o-rings around the evap and expansion valve. I hope this isn't a ac thermostat issue as I can't seem to find a place that sells em for my car anywhere.

Attached Thumbnails need ac help-imag0017.jpg   need ac help-imag0018.jpg   need ac help-imag0019.jpg   need ac help-imag0020.jpg   need ac help-imag0021.jpg  

Last edited by holmesnmanny; 11-04-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:19 AM

Can I get an update on this if possible. I'd like to bang out this expansion valve replacement if that's all that's needed tomorrow. If not, I'll have to wait for a new compressor, if needed.

thanks in advance

Old 11-05-2012, 05:47 AM

Last pic shows the low side going below ambient (vacuum). This pretty well confirms a blockage causing high restriction (no cooling). It is likely the expansion valve, but could be a blockage in receiver/drier or elsewhere. Feel the receiver/drier when this is happening. If it's cold, the blockage is in the R/D.

good luck

Old 11-06-2012, 07:40 PM

Hey th i got it evacuated and chaned exp valve in less than an hour but when they recharge now comp never turns on. I whack it too. Here are the readings. Let me know what u think. The evap core had a lot ofcarpet and some dirt. I guess maybe a mouse from before.

Attached Thumbnails need ac help-imag0025.jpg  
Old 11-07-2012, 04:30 AM

When I look back over my Helms, it talks about disconnecting the ac thermostat connector. I don't recall doing this. I'm thinking that maybe I may have broke it somehow when I removed the evap core. I totally forgot that I needed to remove that connector. I wonder if that's why the compressor isn't coming on now.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:52 AM

Yep, that was it. I just seen it.

The guy that did my alarm and radio had a bunch of wires going by the front of the evap core bundled together. When I went to take them off I disconnected them and the wire for the thermostat was bundled with them and came off the connector without me realizing it. Luckily it's not broke, it just disconnected.

I reconnected it and started her up and the darn thing is blowing cold like never before. So it was the expansion valve that was the problem. I took it for a spin and it doesn't seem to be letting up and tho it's too late to hook up my manifold gauge again I'm sure it was high on the low side because the compressor hadn't turned on. It's cycling on and off now like it's supposed to so I'm sure it's all good to go.

thanks again, if I have any issues I will update again

Old 11-07-2012, 05:47 AM

Glad to hear it's fixed. Thanks for posting your outcome.

regards