General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice... replace engine or send to salvage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:42 PM
decesari2
Unregistered
Default Need advice... replace engine or send to salvage?

Hi Folks. Need some advice and thought I'd ask the experts...

Son was driving our '99 Accord V6 Automatic home from school on Wednesday when car simply died while on the highway. Luckily there was a wide gore point and he was able to simply coast to a safe stop off the highway. Had car towed to nearest Honda dealer who called Thursday morning to inform me they had pulled the covers and the timing belt was shredded along with several loose valves readily apparent without pulling the heads.

I've had all factory recommended service done to the vehicle by local Honda dealers since the car was new, including timing belt replacement at 105k. With ~140k on the odometer now my first thoughts when given the news aren't printable. That said, and assuming the dealer's being reputable (I'll know tomorrow when I get a chance to get down there and see for myself) it looks like the old girls going to need a new engine.

I've always had great luck with Honda's although this one's been more demanding then any of my previous vehicles. Tranny was replaced about 2 years ago (you all know why... $2500), and an oil leak last summer was traced to the rear crank bearing ($1000), now this. With any other car I'd give it up, send it to salvage and never buy another vehicle from the manufacturer. Hard to do with a 140k car that I expected to get at least 200k out of based on past history with Hondas.

Dealer says they can install a used engine (80k miles) for roughly $2500. The car's worth maybe twice that according the Edmunds. I was hoping to get another 3 years out of it as a daily driver for my son as he attends college. The car's immaculate otherwise, and frankly still more fun to drive then my wifes '07 Nissan (apologies for using that word in this forum)... when it's running.

So the question is what would you do? Have the work done installing a new (used) engine or send the car off into the sunset? Thanks in advance for your comments/advice!

Old 09-11-2009, 11:40 PM

Go for the engine swap out.

If it was just the timing belt, you could have probably had the head replaced -- but a leaking oil seal is another bad sign.

Your technician should also do a boroscope inspection and leak test before accepting the engine from the salvage yard.

Just be sure your shop also changes the oil & filter, inspect the timing belt and other seals (valve cover & oil pan gaskets) -- and it is all included in your out-the-door price. You should also have at least a 6 month warranty.

John
San Diego

Old 09-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

I'd say to yank the car from the dealership, find a good independent that has honda experience.
Pull the head/heads replace the bent valves, and the leaking seals.
Drive the car another 100k miles.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by decesari2
Hi Folks. Need some advice and thought I'd ask the experts...

I've had all factory recommended service done to the vehicle by local Honda dealers since the car was new, including timing belt replacement at 105k. With ~140k on the odometer now my first thoughts when given the news aren't printable. That said, and assuming the dealer's being reputable (I'll know tomorrow when I get a chance to get down there and see for myself) it looks like the old girls going to need a new engine.

comments/advice!
If t-belt as replaced at 105k and there are now 140k ,, i am really surprised that a honda t-belt lasted this little .should last at least another 90k ....
did they replace the water pump and the Hydraulic tensioner ?? to only last 35k something does not add up
Let us know what they replaced during t-belt replacement ..

Old 09-13-2009, 06:08 PM
decesari2
Unregistered

Per the paperwork... 3 Belts (Timing, PS Pump, AC Compressor), 3 oil seals and the water pump. Tensioner isn't mentioned.