General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need A/C HELP: DESERT HONDA !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 10:22 PM
mudeater18
Unregistered
Default Need A/C HELP: DESERT HONDA !!!

Desert Honda, I need help too. My problem is similar to nixalots. My Fan locked up because the bearing went out. i replaced the fan motor(aftermarket, wire colors did not match) I may have wired it backwards the first time. After getting the 2 fan motor wires correct, fans work fine, but A/C no longer operates. the problem I have found with a test light and continuity tester is that the red/blue wire on the clutch relay does not have a ground. i can jump the two wires for the relay(i forget the colors) and the fan clutch applies. the 3rd wire has 12volts, but unless probe the red/blue wire from the back side and ground it to the body. the clutch wont engage. What could I have damaged by crossing the fan wires ? That's when this all started. Both fans operate when the a/c is on (by the jumper ground) and both operate when the temp sender reaches temperature. I followed a trouble shooting guide and it points toward the ECM. All fuses, relays and switch on dash check out fine. Can you tell me where is the ECM located? The diode ? Which fuse is 34( cant find 34 anywhere on my fuse box diagram? THANKS FOR ANY HELP. DAVID 859-200-2410

Old 06-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Need A/C HELP: DESERT HONDA !!!

most likely toasted the relay. test and replace if nessescary.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:41 AM

Ok David,, lets slow down just a bit and take a nice long deep breath,,,,,Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh much better ,,

first of all ,, HERE WE GO AGAIN what year and model car are we talking about ??? put that info on your signature so we do not have to ask again,...

now when you put the a/c on if i am getting this correct the a/c clutch does not engage ,, when you say the fan clutch do you mean the compressor clutch ?? ( a/c clutch )
both fan do not work either with just turning a/c on correct ???
but all works ok ( both fans, a/c compressor clutch engages,)if you give ground to the red/blue wire correct ??

if you have to ground the red/blue wire to make things work the problem is not the relay ..And you are correct the wire gets its ground from the ecm,, but if the ecm is no good , we can jump it to make a/c work ,, we should be able to give it ground from the blue/red wire on the other side of the a/c switch..

let me know the year and we go from there ..

Old 06-30-2006, 09:20 AM
mudeater18
Unregistered

Sorry. I copied the reply from an earlier thread which already described the vehicle, and today is my 1st day on the board.
Anyway, it's a 95 Accord EX 2.2 VTEC. Yes , I am referring to the compressor clutch. Also, You are correct. Fans do not work either unless temp is up. Neither fan comes on with a/c switch because clutch also does not engage(unless ground is jumped). Can you tell me where the ecm is located ? and the diode ? My manual says diode is above the left kic panel. I/m not sure what it looks like, but did see anything in that area. Again, thanks for any help.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:23 PM

diode is located under dash left side by kick panel 2 wires going to it green and red/white...forget the diode for a minute

the ecm is located under the carpet passenger side.. it has 3 gray plugs
1 has 16 wires
1 has 22 wires
1 has 26 wires..

here is what i want you to do.
start car and put a/c on,
on the plug with 16 wires chk to see if you get ground at the red/white wire..

if you DO NOT, the problem is downstream,, pressure switch, thermostatic switch, wiring, a/c switch

if you DO get ground,, chk to see if you get ground at the plug with 26 wires, red/blue wire

if you DO, ECM is ok

if you DO NOT and you had ground on the red/white 16 wire plug you got a bad ECM .

if so,, here is what i have done in the past , jump the wires between the 2 plugs .
you are bypassing the ECM and supplying ground,, it will work

by doing so what you wont have is the ECM regulating the idle speed when a/c is on,, no biggy , just put the base idle to the high side of specs ,,
Or if you got the money replace the ECM.

try this and let me know.....

Now i won't be around for a few days so i cannot reply ,maybe another member can help you out if you are in a pinch, or you just got to wait till i return.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:44 AM
mudeater18
Unregistered

GOT COLD AIR !!! Thanks DesertHonda. I followed your steps and showed the ECM to be OK. From there followed the schlematic and lost my ground signal at the A/C thermostat. Without having one to replace it with, a friend of mine (with good auto electric skills) traced it to a diode on the circuit board inside. We matched it to a similar diode from Radio Shack (2 in a pkg. for $1.29) soldered it on and BAM! cold air ! So, all I'm out is $1.37 including the Gov'ts cut and a Chinese Buffet that I bought him! Total including tip about $30 bucks ! So here's my next question. We're not sure the diode was an exact match (it looked similar and was 12V). Do you think its a works, or does not work situation or do you think it may work but not perform it's function as well, etc ? So far it seems to be same as before. If it doesn't act right I'll pick one up at a salvage yard and change it out. Again, thanks for your help. If you were a few thousand miles closer I would have hooked you up with a Chinese Buffet, too ! You may have covered this before, but as I said I'm new to the board, but what's your story ? Are you a Tech at a dealership ? private shop ? You're not making much $$$ helping everyone for free ! Just curious. Thanks, David

Old 07-10-2006, 11:44 PM
mudeater18
Unregistered

Hey Desert, are you back yet ?

Old 07-11-2006, 01:47 AM

I think he meant a couple of weeks by a "few days"

Old 07-11-2006, 11:35 PM

Ehy,,,,,, glad you got it fixed and it was not the ECU..

good going ..

Thanks for the offer on the chinese buffet

As for my story ,,first off I DO NOT do this for the money obviousely if i were interested in money i would not be here,, i do it just to help people out , solve their problems and help them save a few bucks .. that's what the whole purpose of this forum is , a friendly atmosphere so members feel comfortable to come and ask for help ,,and a lot of members with a lot of experience willing to help a fellow member and ask nothing in return..

As for me i started on HONDAS as a trainee fresh out of tech school way back in 1979.. worked at a Honda dealership for 8 years,, left the state it was too cold in the winter, worked at another Honda dealership for 9 years,,, have my own Honda and Acura specialty service shop for the past 10 years .
I am ASE certified,, Honda certified, Honda master tech, Honda Top Tech.. ,, And i am here to help people out on whatever chance i get ..and i am glad that we at HAF were able to help you out ..