General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need help with 1990 honda accord

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 05:58 PM
Red face need help with 1990 honda accord

Im not sure were to go from here. I suspect it to be a fuel pump and aor the ckp( crank position sensor) i have uploaded a video to help describe the systems that it it having. one thing i failed to mention in the video was that it also has a new o2 sensor. Thank you for your help.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I moved your post to the correct forum for help.

Is Check Engine Light on? If yes, what codes are presented?

Suggest first checking that engine camshaft aligns to TDC position when crankshaft is adjusted to TDC w/ timing marks on crankshaft pulley and timing guage.

Also confirm that cylinder spark plug wires are correctly aligned to spark plugs, 1-3-4-2. No 1 is marked on distributor cap and 3--4-2 follow clockwise looking at distributor. Cylinders are numbered beginning from timing belt side of engine to distributor side of engine.

Also check the engine electrical timing is set to 15 degrees BTDC at idle w/ service check connector shorted.

good luck

Old 03-15-2015, 02:18 PM

Thank you for moving my post. The Check engine light has not come on, even when the problem started it did not turn the engine light on. Timing and plug wire are correct. When you put in the jumper there is no change in anything. Same symptoms. And that is where I thought it might be a fuel pump. Still unclear where i need to go from here, not really into throwing more parts at it. thank you again for your help.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Does check engine light come on when keyswitch is turned to On and go off after 2-3 secs? This is a ECM self test. If you don't have a light for this test, there may be stored codes and a failed or missing Check Engine Light bulb.

You can check fuel pressure by tapping into the fuel rail w/ correct fitting.

Engine seems to be missing at idle and attempting to accelerate. This can be caused by leaking valves. Suggest a compression test to see if there are weak cylinder/s. A bent, burnt, or stuck valve can cause your symptoms.

good luck