General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

in need of help!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:30 PM
lor3nzo
Unregistered
Default in need of help!

Hi, I'm new. My name is Lorenzo and i'm new to the honda world(sort of) My brother in law drives a 1983 honda accord its not in the best condition but it runs, it has 200k miles and i believe the trans is going out.

Anyway he did some things to the car that don't look normal to me, its a 1.8l(automatic) 4banger thats carbed. I noticed he had 2 car batteries in the back of his little hatch and from what i was hearing is the car keeps going through them like nothing, i automaticly thought about the alternator, well when i popped the hood so many things looked bad, first off he did a delete on the A/C, also he unbolted the alternator and the belt isn't even running on off of it, same with some other pullies, could explain why the power steering doesn't work.

Any idea how i can get this car running normal would the transmission go bad after 200k miles? My saturn has 217k miles and has never gave me any problems but i do baby it, I want a cheap and fast way to fix this car.

Thanks guys!

Old 03-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Wow. It sounds like it was abused. Find out why he did those things to the car.

If he still has the belts, put them on and tension them properly. The alternator belt is more important.

See if the alternator charges the battery when the car is running. The battery should hold a voltage >12V. Your accord might have a battery light that would indicate a charging problem.

Find out if the basic maintenance items are up to date. Spark plugs, distributor cap, distributor rotor, air filter, oil change. You would also want to change the transmission fluid.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:13 AM
lor3nzo
Unregistered

i don't know why he did any of this, i can't find the transmission fluid anywhere, the battery light has been on since we towed the car here.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Transmission fluid is at the dealer. You fill it in the dipstick hole (autos) or the upper fill hole (manuals).

Old 03-21-2009, 08:30 AM
lor3nzo
Unregistered

lol that's what i meant was the dipstick, not the fluid. I can't find the stick anywhere.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

The trans dipstick for automatics is lower down on the front side of the trans.
Should be a flat tab sticking up that screws into the trans case; might be hidden somewhat by the lower radiator hose.