General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

NEED HELP

Old 07-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Default NEED HELP

For the past 3 months every once in while my car will give me a hard time when ever I try to crank it up or it will turn on for 2 or 3 seconds and it will start choking and cut off, after that happens it will take form 10 - 15 minutes for the car to turn on. today it did it 3 times in a row. I don’t know what could be the problem. I will appreciate anyone’s help in this matter.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Default RE: NEED HELP

If it's not giving you an engine code I'd start by replacing the fuel filter (if it hasn't been done in a while) then get a fuel pressure guage on there and see if it's droping drastically.... It sounds fuel related to me. Make sure you post the year/make of your car... If you put it in your signature block it makes things a lot easier.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:16 PM

sorry about that. Is a 99 Accord EX-V6 coupe...I'll start by changing the fuel filter.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:32 PM

when was the last time that you did plugs/wires air/oil/fuel filters and such? I've seen cases where a tune up will fix that issue, even if it doesn't fix your issue and it's something you haven't done for a while then it will still be money well spent to make sure your car's life lasts longer....

Diagnoses wise if you have done all the above then yeah start with the fuel filter and if that doesn't fix it I'd get a fuel pressure guage on there to see if that's an issue...

Old 07-07-2006, 09:35 PM

Thanks alot for your input Sir_Nasty!!! what plugs and wires do you recomend?

Old 07-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

has the ignition switch recall been completed?

Old 07-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yea has it?

Old 07-08-2006, 10:52 AM

yeah the recall was done about a year ago...ever since I had the car(2 yeas) I have never chage the spark plugs or wires....What plugs do you think will give my car the best performance with out havig to pay an arm and a leg for them?.... A friend told me that the problem could be from the furl pump going bad. what do you think?

Old 07-08-2006, 12:13 PM

Stick with NGK. The NGK Iridiums are pretty well liked around here (I use them and would recommend them for performance enthusiasts), but the OEM NGK plugs will be fine.

As far as plug wires go, stock seems to actually be the best unless you have some serious work done to the car. Nology makes some wires called Hot Wires, and they seem to also be well liked among the board, so if you have the extra cash and want to spend it on upgraded wires, those may be what you want. But like I said, the stock wires are fine if you don't have much done to the engine.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:20 PM

ok. replace spark plugs and cables and still has the same problem, it will turn on for a sec choke and cut off and then it can take up to 15 min to turn it back on. Should I mess with the fuel filter?[:@] [:@] dont really want to due to the fact that is inside of the fuel tank. Any other suggestions?????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NEED HELP