General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP alternator

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Default NEED HELP alternator

I have a honda accord 06 and it was running fine before i took it to jiffy lube. I got it serviced and i went to pick up my gf and it died so we gave it a jump and it worked fine after that, we went to visit family that was an hour away from us and got back home fine and nothing was wrong with the car . i was on my way out and the car made a weird noise and kinda stopped for a little so i parked and started it and the engine light was on and battery light and ABS light. so i took it back to jiffy lube and they did a test on the battery it scored really low so i replaced it started the car and same situation with the icons lighting up. so i went to autozone and they did a test on my old alternator and it passed but barely and it sounded really bad and slow. so i replaced the alternator and they did a battery test there and it was 50% so i replaced it again. im really lost on the situation because ive taken it to a shop like that before and nothing happened. if anyone has any suggestions or advice it would be appreciated. was going to take it to a mechanic tomorrow

Old 09-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You replaced battery twice and alternator (starter?) once and still cranks slowly.

Please describe in detail how starting sounds; slow, no-turnover but starter clicks, normal fast turnover but no-start.

good luck

Old 09-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies

1. Get a multimeter and test the battery when the car is off. It should be around 12.85

2. Start the car. Test the battery, it should be between 13.5 and 14.0.

3. If you are finding that your battery is losing charge for no reason it reasons that there is a draw on your electric system. Perform a "parasitic draw test." It'll take about 45 minutes and is pretty simple to do. Just follow the instructions in this Youtube video.

4. I had a similar electrical problem. I took the alternator to 3 different stores. Autozone, Napa, and Advanced auto. They all tested it and said its good to do. Turns out the small carbon brushes in it were broke but it was still testing fine.