General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on deciding new calipers to replace leaky ones

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Default Need help on deciding new calipers to replace leaky ones

I took my 2000 Accord Coupe into Burt Brothers to get my car to pass safety inspections. I ended up getting two new tires and an alignment, but the mechanic had discovered one of my calipers was leaking.

Since I need new brakes and rotors, I ordered hawk HPS brake pads (part #HB275 F.660 type D465/D764) and Brembo OE replacement rotors (part #25539), and now am looking at some performance calipers.

I've heard good things about SSBC calipers, so I wanted to purchase some of those. However, I can't find any caliper-only products that fit, and am not certain whether or not I can get SSBC calipers. I've searched amazon, and have found calipers that state they fit a certain rotor size, but is there more to it than the rotor size to make sure everything is compatible? I really want SSBC calipers, but have no idea how to make sure everything will link up correctly. I don't see any sizing information on the packaging of my Brembo rotors. I do however see this:
ecx. images-amazon. com/images/ I/51mZKYbPnRL._SS400_.jpg
on the production information page for my Brembo rotors, but this chart has a ton of sizes, which size is the one I care about for calipers?

I'm thinking about these:
www. amazon. com/ SSBC-A22171-Competition-Caliper-Assembly/dp/B003VYW2FI/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1301176110&sr= 1-2"
Amazon.com: SSBC A22171 Competition Series R-Lite Race Caliper Assembly for 0.375" Rotor: Automotive but in whatever size will fit my pads and rotors.

If having SSBC calipers is a pipe dream, do you have other recommendations? I'd really like to try SSBC, unless there are better one's out there. I care more about performance and quality and less about price in this case.

P.S. I'm not sure how to tell if my car is EX/DX/LX/SE, hopefully it doesn't matter in this case.

Last edited by JimBlake; 03-26-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: links
Old 03-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

I had to change your links per posting rules: No active links to selling sites unless they're sponsors.

I've used lots of Brembo rotors and like them. Hawk HPS pads are a favorite of mine too.

But usually "big-brake" kits come with their own rotors & pads. Unless you're going to do a lot of track time, I'd get stock calipers. You'll like the improvement from the Hawk pads.

Also... check to see if the fluid leak comes from something simple, like the hoses.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Ive got a company that you can go take a look at. They cover about 600,00 brake applications and they have a user friendly web site to look at things..

Here you are-type in www worldpac com and take a look..

Welcome to the forums...

Old 03-27-2011, 06:16 AM

Hmm... didn't think to check myself. I don't generally know how to diagnose a car problem. I usually take it in to a mechanic and have them tell me what's up with it, and then look up how to do that myself.

On that note, any good beginner material that you can recommend if I want to get more into diagnosing such problems?

Old 03-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Best would be a good shop manual. The really good one comes from Helm (but pricey).
www dot helminc dot com
It'll have 1500 pages of fun reading for you. All kinds of diagnostic procedures, how to rebuild your automatic transmission, enough to make your head explode.

Look in the DIY section for a thread about manuals. I guess there's a link to an electronic version of that book.

For a brake fluid leak, you just have to raise & PROPERLY support the car, take the wheels off, & look to see where exactly it's leaking.