General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need Help with my 94' Accord EX...acceleration/power and cruising issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Default Need Help with my 94' Accord EX...acceleration/power and cruising issue

HI!

first of all i have a 94' accord EX (I4-Vtec). it has 150k miles on it. im not really that mechanically inclined person. i mean, i know some stuffs about cars but im not really like those mechanic persons...who knows a lot about fixing cars and stuffs...

1 My first problem is this: when i accelerate, it feels like the I4-vtec engine doesnt have the torque/power to really accelerate fast. and that is already in first gear. i dunno why is that.. im guessing it has something to do with my exhaust system...cuz my exhaust system is still the original exhaust(pipes,etc.) and it does have little bit of holes on it...

2 My second problem is that: when im already cruising, when im stepping on the gas so that the car will just maintain its speed, it fluctuates...im guessing it has something to do with the fuel filter..i wouldnt want to say the spark plugs cuz the plugs r new...so....

Please Help Me With My Car's Problems.....

Thanks In Advance ...

Old 04-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need Help with my 94' Accord EX...acceleration/power and cruising issue

You say spark plugs are new? What brand? Hondas don't seem to get along well with Bosch. NGK or Denso would be good.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Need Help with my 94' Accord EX...acceleration/power and cruising issue

It's sort of sounding like clogged EGR ports to me. If it's a manual, a worn clutch would fit #2 in a long stretch...

Old 04-29-2008, 09:05 AM

im not really sure what brand the plugs r cuz when i bought the car the owner said he just replaced the plugs with new ones...

my car is an automatic btw....sorry for not specifying my trans...

now i got 3 probs...

the 3rd problem: is that my D4 light is flashing... when i put it on D1, it goes ok...then when i shift it to D2 from D1, it doesnt change....its gear still on D1 even when im on D2 already, and then when i shift to D3, it shifts but im not sure if im really on 3rd gear or in D2, and then when i shift it to D4, the rpm lowers just a little bit...im pretty sure that its a transmission problem, but what i dont get is that the owner also just got the transmission replaced...

Old 04-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

A few more random ranting thoughts...

Look in the DIY forum, I think there's some instructions about how to jumper the SCS connector & read the error codes by watching the check-engine lamp & the D4 lamp flashing. Knowing what errors are being reported is important.

Auto tranny has a cable from the throttle tohelp the tranny decide when to shift. Adjusted wrong, that might cause the tranny to hunt back& forth between gears.

Your #2 could mean a couple different things...
- You hold a perfectly constant position of the gas pedal & the car surges as if you were pressing & lifting your foot.
- The engine RPM rises & falls as if the tranny were slipping, then not, then slipping.
- The tachometer bounces but there's no indication (rpm by sound, or surging of the car) that the engine is actually doing that.
Which is it?? (or describe it best you can)

Old 04-29-2008, 10:07 AM

well i cant do the DIY cuz i dont work on a shop..im not a mechanic and i dont have the tools..i just have an a little bit above average knowledge about cars...

anyways...

ill try to elaborate on my second problem:

whenever i go cruising and maintain the same speed by try to step on the gas to give just the right amount of gas to make it stay on the same speed(holding a perfectly constant position of the gas pedal), there is no visible signs on the guages, but you could hear it through the exhaust that it is fluctuating...its sounds kinda like when you have a dirty fuel filter thats not giving the engine enough gas...

Old 05-01-2008, 08:13 PM

btw...i found the diagnostic trouble code on my car...it was 7 so its bout solenoids...dunno what to do tho...