General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help and options 90 accord knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:31 PM
kingss
Unregistered
Default need help and options 90 accord knocking noise

hi all im new here i just bought this accord a mouth ago.put alot of work into it most of everything is new i just having one problem i don't know if engine bad or not.can anybody tell by this video i made.i need options if engine ok or not or can it be a bad timing i did it myself.and today i just check if timing is right and it is.i have picutureof timingwill put them up in few.
oil i have in it 10w-40 mobil 1 fully synthetic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMmlkoHn3l4
Thanks in Advance

Old 03-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: need help and options 90 accord knocking noise

I doubt anyone could tell much from that video, holding an engine at 5k RPM is not the way to go about finding noise.
what belt is screaming so loud? Alt belt rubbing the lower T-belt cover? Or is the counterbalance belt tighter than a banjo string?
If you can IDLE the engine you might go around using a long screwdriver as a stethoscope, to listen for noise.
Check the valve cover to see if maybe there is a way loose valve, and also put the screwdriver at the dist where it goes into the valve cover.
Rod knock noise is most apparent when you lightly go on and off the gas quickly.
Main bearing knock is a heavy noise and can usually be felt by putting your hand on the block down low.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:55 PM
kingss
Unregistered

well i took the oil pan down and metal in pan one rod bearing has spun the # 3 cyl.all the rest is ok.
what you think i should do i don't have much money to replace engine. im going to take the rod bearing out tommorrow i take picture of it. if you can give me a option if i can go by just replacing bearings. orengine is done for.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:23 AM

If the big end journal isn't damaged (or only very very very slightly damaged) you might get away with just fitting abearing shells to that rod.

If the journal has slight scoring you may be able to clean it up a bit with a 'belt' of fine emery paper or cloth looped over the journal and rapidly pulled back and forth. You wouldn't need to entirely removeany scoring (nor would it actually be advisable to do so), just any high spots, so long as the majority of the journal width wasn't damaged.

I'd also be checking the big end eye to make sure it was perfectly round (or round to within spec, whatever that may be).

If this doesn't work then at least you gave it a shot, but there's a good chance it won't work if you don't know why the bearing died in the first place. It could just be that the bearing was worn out with too large a clearance and you had metal to metal contact as a result (in which case the other bearings are not unlikely to be close behind), or could be a blockage in an oil gallery perhaps? If so and the blockage is still there then you may just wreck the new bearing. best bet would be to pull the crank out and check it properly, but then the engine has to come out etc etc.

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2008, 01:42 PM
kingss
Unregistered

is the crank bad or ok
sorry for picture beening big

Old 03-19-2008, 02:03 PM

Looks shot to me, but you might oull it out and take it to a good machine shop. They would be able to tell you if they can turn it and use a bigger bearing.
You did keep track of where each bearing cap came from, and mark them appropriatelydidn't you? If not then you probably ought to just get a different motor.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:25 PM
kingss
Unregistered

i only took off one that on the #3cyl. that the only one that move. all the rest is tight.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:31 PM

That looks nasty. Personally I think you have two options, get the crank journal(s) ground undersize and fit appropriate bearings, or a replacement motor. I'd think a replacement motor would be the path of least resistance, depending on costs...

Old 03-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Bearing is all scored as I see it..replacement is eminate..

Old 03-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you've got time,you may try first polishing the crankshaft journal w/ fine emery cloth.Rotate crankshaft to polish journal full circumference. Then reinstall connecting rod, normal size bearing w/ appropriate plastigage to determine tolerances. This may allow selection of oversize or normal size bearing to work. Plastigage should show how much OOR is in the crankshaft journal. There are specs on allowable tolerances. If you can meet those, it should work.

I tried this on a Dodge engine, but tolerances were too bad. Journal looked much worse than yours w/ large circumferential grooves due to bearing rotation, blockage of oil passage, and severe scoring.

good luck

Quick Reply: need help and options 90 accord knocking noise