General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need help with power steering pump!

Old 12-27-2015, 09:31 PM
Default Need help with power steering pump!

So I tried replacing the leaky PS pump cover gasket on my 02 Accord today. I did it with the pump on the car out of laziness (main mistake). The little vanes behind the cover also came out with the cover despite my carefulness. I put them back into their slots and put the cover back on with the new gasket. Problem is that with the tires back on the ground, the steering wheel is VERY hard to turn. It feels like there isn't any power steering at all. But with the tires off the ground, PS works nice and smooth. Fluid level is good and there are no leaks. Pump has a slight groan even after I turned the wheel lock-to-lock like 20 times to bleed out the air. I noticed the pump cover didn't fully sit flush with the pump before I tightened it down. Once I finger tightened the bolts it sealed fine without any binding. What could've gone wrong here?

Old 12-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Those "vanes" are directional - is it possible you got a few of them in the wrong way?

Side note - how is the "newer" Pilot doing?

Old 12-28-2015, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is fluid circulating (return line to reservoir)? If not, time to rework or better replace pump w/ new or used. Plenty available in junkyards and ebay.

good luck

Old 12-28-2015, 06:03 PM

So I took the pump off the car today and removed the cover to take a look. The vanes were all in place and properly oriented -- rounded edge facing out and squared edge in. Also primed the pump by adding some PSF all to no avail. I noticed the fluid in the reservoir isn't sloshing around at all when moving the steering wheel in the air meaning the pump isn't circulating anything. I bought a new pump and will be installing it tomorrow. Hopefully everything works again.

@poorman212- The Pilot's doing good. My VCMuzzler should be coming soon; can't wait to put that sucker on!