General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP WITH WAI

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 04:55 AM
Default NEED HELP WITH WAI

Can someone please guide me in installing a WAI?

I'm a poor college student so I am just looking for the most basic sort.

This is what I came across on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay/94-97-HONDA-ACCORD-H...spagenameZWDVW

Let me know if this is adequate or if it looks like its missing parts that are needed for installation. If it looks like its missing prats let me know. Otherwise plesae give me detailed instructions on how to install a WAI.
Please no direct links with e-bay sites..

Old 09-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: NEED HELP WITH WAI

Hey brownguy!!! Welcome to HAF!!!

First, you need to put year/trim/doors/tranny info in your signature. "WAI" is not correct.
There are CAI's (Cold Air Intake) and SRI's (Short Ram Intake). The link that you included is only for a filter which can be used on either, but you'd be better off getting a name brand (Injen, AEM, Amsoil, etc.) filter for a cheap tube rather than having a cheap filter at all!

The installation for either type of intake is not difficult. Basically, you take off all of the plastic before the throttle body. The hardest part is taking off the front bumper to remove the intake resonator (or pre-filter, depending on who you talk to). For a CAI, the filter will be in the bumper which adds to your maintenance work when you have to clean it and also you can kill your engine if you drive through a flood and suck up water. I have one and have not had problems with even heavy rain, but the bumper cannot get submerged. The SRI stays in the engine baymaking it easier for maintenance, but it pulls hotter air and is a little louder. There are debates on which makes more power, but there is really not that much of a differance. The differance is having a high flow intake vs. stock. That said, when I got mine almost 4 years ago, I had never installed one before and it took less than an hour to complete.

http://cgi.ebaycom/-96-97-Honda-Acco...QQcmdZViewItem

Here is an SRI. I think that it is for your car, but you need to post that info! you can get this for ~$35. Throw away the garbage filter that it comes with and get a filter for about $25. Intake for 60 bucks ..... not bad! ...... that's about half the price of a name brand intake and filter combo.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:06 AM

If you plan on installing an SRI, you can go ahead and take the resonator out of the bumper. This will give a moderate increase and also get the hardest part of the install done. AND .... it won't cost you a thing!!!

Old 09-06-2007, 09:13 AM

I agree with all of the above EXCEPT: You don't actually have to take out the resonator if you put in an SRI. I have an SRI and my resonator is still there. You do have to remove the resonator if you want to install a CAI though.
You might find this link helpful: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/Gen...m_64674/tm.htm

Old 09-06-2007, 10:51 PM

i was curious were you got the term wai? and what it stands for? or was it just a typo? not trying to insult btw.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:55 PM

when I was younger I would frequent this website for nissan altimas. They referred to a WAI as a warm air intake.
Basically just bolting on an intake to where the filter box use to be .

Old 09-07-2007, 12:28 AM

ORIGINAL: brownguy04

when I was younger I would frequent this website for nissan altimas. They referred to a WAI as a warm air intake.
Basically just bolting on an intake to where the filter box use to be .
interesting. never heard of a warm air intake and couldnt imagine it beinga performance upgrade. what would you find about about nissans on this site?
anyone know how longd this forums been around?

Old 09-07-2007, 08:57 AM

00: Why would you leave the resonator in if it's not hooked up? It only takes 20 minutes to remove it and extra weight never helps performance. ..... but you're right that you don't HAVE to remove it for the SRI. My point is that he can get an increase by removing it for the meanwhile until he gets a real intake.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:32 AM

I just didn't feel like going through the hassle of removing my bumper. I've heard people claim you can remove the resonator without removing the bumper, but I do not see how it would be possible. Plus it is 100+ degrees outside during the day here in Mississippi, plus the high humidity makes it murder to try to work on a car.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:35 AM

I hear ya ..... the bumper's not that bad though ..... all clips and I think 4 screws. Maybe half an hour.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP WITH WAI